Owning land and/or living next to WIHA?

Rhodi

I was hunting this past weekend and passed a WIHA that was located directly across from an occupied home along a paved, two lane road. The WIHA had a fence, but also had the red no shooting signs paralleling the fence next to the road. I understand establishing a buffer for safety, but this was the first time I had seen WIHA marked with the red signs next to a road. I’ve normally seen them around structures, occupied and unoccupied. Actually, some of the red signs I’ve seen appear to be a little closer to an occupied structure than I would be comfortable with. Another thing I noticed this season was a lot more purple paint and no hunting/trespassing signs right next to the white WIHA signs.

This made me wonder how often landowners and/or homeowners with property near WIHA get upset when that property gets enrolled in the program. I’m sure it does happen, but I was curious if any of you have any first-hand knowledge/experience with this?

Well if you own it you have no one to blame but yourself. If the neighbor did it to me, I sure wouldn't be happy! I live next to a railroad right of way, gets used once a week, spur line to a plastics company next town to the north. All summer, spring, fall, winter, I have the locals usually in groups, wandering up and down shooting .22 rifles at songbirds, squirrels, into the rock bottom creek at the tressel. All illegal. I don't say a word until they start shooting right by my house, I mean like within 120 feet or so. Have no doubt some idiot with a gun, notice I did not say hunter, will shoot right next to the kids jungle gym! and probably a dawn!!!

Owning it wouldn't be as bad as living next to it. I wouldn't appreciate my neighbor doing it, especially if I owned land next to it. I wouldn't complain either though, knowing the joys it brings folks (including myself). Another reason I wouldn't want my neighbor's place in WIHA is b/c once they got to know me, they'd let me hunt and I could help keep trespassers out:D

Lol nice Ks, I dont think i'd mind it if the "hunters" had sense and didnt shoot toward the house of course.
I've often thought about buying a place that backs up to one of our public wildlife areas cuz most of the year you could hike, run the dogs etc on it.

Back