over exicted dogs

gsp4life

i have a gsp and is really "BIRD CRAZY" when ever i take him out tranning he gets really exicted and starts whinning really bad. and just recently started breaking out of his kennel. he pulls the door with his mouth in towards him then escapes. its pretty embarrisng because when i have him out i'm shooting for another gals dog and he escapes and comes running to try and find the bird i have set out for the other gal. i cant punish him for it. any opinions?

Hey gsp,

My Vizsla gets almost that bad, but not quite. It is definately worse when I don't get him out running off leash almost every day. How often does he run off leash in between hunting? I can see a difference in my dogs behavior if I miss just a day of letting him burn off energy. How old is your gsp? I guess the only thing I can suggest is to make sure you try and wear him out several times per week. In addition, if he can see what is going on from his kennel you may want to avoid that by covering up his kennel so he can't see that someone else is having all the fun. :D

Good Luck! :)

Paul

excited

Hey gsp i would rather have excited than non rule of thumb you can slow them down a little but why would you want to but you cant put the drive excitement into them

I thought Tony was was bad he gets so excited at the site of his E-Collar. He actually trembles, I do mean shakes all over like a bowl of jello. When we get to our run or hunting place. He starts the Shakes all over again in anticipation. Other than that he is pretty calm about it all......Bob

I thought Tony was was bad he gets so excited at the site of his E-Collar. He actually trembles, I do mean shakes all over like a bowl of jello. When we get to our run or hunting place. He starts the Shakes all over again in anticipation. Other than that he is pretty calm about it all......Bob

My GSP also shakes real bad when she sees her Ecollar. In fact she barely lets me put it on her. Its almost comical, but has calmed down a little bit that past couple of months.

Back