over eager lab

malbus

So this past friday I took my 2yr old lab out and did a fantastic job on locating the birds. However, she was so good she caught 4 of 6 birds herself. She took only one bite into them to kill them then brought them all to me. When i got to cleaning them, the meat was in near perfect shape. She's fairly new to the game ( this is her first full season) and I don't want her to lose any enthusiasm with the hunt. Is this behavior ok or should I take steps to training her not to get the birds herself? And if so, what do you do to train her to solely flush?
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

This was at a game farm I am guessing. Don't worry about it my boys catch pen raised birds pretty regularly (rarely a wild birds). Sounds like you have the makings of a fun dog. The only thing I would try to improve on would be his hold. I would like to see the bird retreived live and delivered to hand.

holding

This was at a game farm I am guessing. Don't worry about it my boys catch pen raised birds pretty regularly (rarely a wild birds). Sounds like you have the makings of a fun dog. The only thing I would try to improve on would be his hold. I would like to see the bird retreived live and delivered to hand.

What would you recommend to teach her initial soft mouth so she brings them back alive? Thanks for responding.

Malbus,

I teach hold starting as soon as obediance is solid enough for dog to sit calmly at heel for a couple of minutes (keep sessions short). I start with a wooden dumbell as they are not self rewarding like a canvas bumper (don't feel good to chew on) and they promote proper placement. Place dumbell in dogs mouth making sure to clear pups lips. As soon as dog stops rolling or chewing mark the good behavior with a "yes" or better yet with a click than reward him with a high value treat I.E chunk of hot dog or cheese cube. At first you will be rewarding dog for VERY short instances of proper hold as he gets better you will stretch out the time between placement of dumbell and mark/reward. Once he will hold the dumbell indeffinetly (a couple of minutes) do the same process with a plastic bumper than a canvas bumper. Next step is a canvas bumper with wings taped on than go to a frozen bird than a fresh bird. Do not skip a step or try to rush it. At first you really are training through attrition..... STAY CALM and take lots of deep breaths.....Hold can be very frustrating.

If you get a rock solid hold Force Fetch or conditioned retreive will be a walk in the park. Depending on your expectations you may find that FF is not even needed. But always remember FF effects many behaviors beyond fetch. Your dog will learn you are the pack leader and will mature greatly during the process. Bill Hillman has a new video on conditioned retreive, if you do FF watch this video about 4 times before you even start!

I have a eight month old (BLM) keg of dynomite with nitro going through his veins..... I started FF with him yesterday. His hold is so solid I honestly think I may get through it in two weeks. He marks awesome, now if he can run LOOOOONG blinds I may have something really special.

Hope this helps
Steve

Steve I have a buddy who breeds and trains labs for duck hunting. What he does for a long blind retrieve and it does work is. He will take two posts with a long piece of cloths line. Attach the line to the posts. Then attach a short lead to the line and to the dog.
Basically he is forcing the dog to go in a straight line only.
Then the whole "back" thing and lots of praise, never any treat rewards bla bla bla. :thumbsup:

Mobus, I agree with Steve on ".. STAY CALM and take lots of deep breaths..."

Now myself I will teach force fetching but I will echo what Steve said in that FF, you are also establishing things well beyond fetching.
All dogs take a pack mentality. If in the dogs view no one is willing to be the Alpha dog, they will take that position. But being a "Alpha" to a dog does not mean the trainer needs to be heavy handed. Rather for myself, the dogs I work with get such high praise for the smallest things (during training) that a firm NO with eye contact normally instills the dominance into a dog.
So while teaching FF I repeat steps A LOT. Basically just doing the battle of the wills with the dog.
But I still keep those sessions short and always finish a training session with something the dog can do easily so I can get back to the high praise for a good job.
In my view, always leave a training session on a positive note, even if that means going back to a very basic command.
Training a dog can be very rewarding for the owner. I feel a dog trained by a different trainer other then the owner, will still need to get the owner to establish the dominant role, or the paid training was a waste of money.
But just because one needs to be the dominant "Alpha" does not mean you have to be a heavy handed handler. I like the way Steve describes how to teach the FF...:cheers:

Steve I have a buddy who breeds and trains labs for duck hunting. What he does for a long blind retrieve and it does work is. He will take two posts with a long piece of cloths line. Attach the line to the posts. Then attach a short lead to the line and to the dog.
Basically he is forcing the dog to go in a straight line only.
Then the whole "back" thing and lots of praise, never any treat rewards bla bla bla. :thumbsup:

Mobus, I agree with Steve on ".. STAY CALM and take lots of deep breaths..."

Now myself I will teach force fetching but I will echo what Steve said in that FF, you are also establishing things well beyond fetching.
All dogs take a pack mentality. If in the dogs view no one is willing to be the Alpha dog, they will take that position. But being a "Alpha" to a dog does not mean the trainer needs to be heavy handed. Rather for myself, the dogs I work with get such high praise for the smallest things (during training) that a firm NO with eye contact normally instills the dominance into a dog.
So while teaching FF I repeat steps A LOT. Basically just doing the battle of the wills with the dog.
But I still keep those sessions short and always finish a training session with something the dog can do easily so I can get back to the high praise for a good job.
In my view, always leave a training session on a positive note, even if that means going back to a very basic command.
Training a dog can be very rewarding for the owner. I feel a dog trained by a different trainer other then the owner, will still need to get the owner to establish the dominant role, or the paid training was a waste of money.
But just because one needs to be the dominant "Alpha" does not mean you have to be a heavy handed handler. I like the way Steve describes how to teach the FF...:cheers:

Thank you for the kind words.

You hit on two very important things.

If your the Alpha dog you do not need to raise your voice and be heavy handed.

Always end on high note!

Steve

FF

Malbus,

I teach hold starting as soon as obediance is solid enough for dog to sit calmly at heel for a couple of minutes (keep sessions short). I start with a wooden dumbell as they are not self rewarding like a canvas bumper (don't feel good to chew on) and they promote proper placement. Place dumbell in dogs mouth making sure to clear pups lips. As soon as dog stops rolling or chewing mark the good behavior with a "yes" or better yet with a click than reward him with a high value treat I.E chunk of hot dog or cheese cube. At first you will be rewarding dog for VERY short instances of proper hold as he gets better you will stretch out the time between placement of dumbell and mark/reward. Once he will hold the dumbell indeffinetly (a couple of minutes) do the same process with a plastic bumper than a canvas bumper. Next step is a canvas bumper with wings taped on than go to a frozen bird than a fresh bird. Do not skip a step or try to rush it. At first you really are training through attrition..... STAY CALM and take lots of deep breaths.....Hold can be very frustrating.

If you get a rock solid hold Force Fetch or conditioned retreive will be a walk in the park. Depending on your expectations you may find that FF is not even needed. But always remember FF effects many behaviors beyond fetch. Your dog will learn you are the pack leader and will mature greatly during the process. Bill Hillman has a new video on conditioned retreive, if you do FF watch this video about 4 times before you even start!

I have a eight month old (BLM) keg of dynomite with nitro going through his veins..... I started FF with him yesterday. His hold is so solid I honestly think I may get through it in two weeks. He marks awesome, now if he can run LOOOOONG blinds I may have something really special.

Hope this helps
Steve

Thanks a bunch! I'll get right on that.:D

Thank you for the kind words.

You hit on two very important things.

If your the Alpha dog you do not need to raise your voice and be heavy handed.

Always end on high note!

Steve

I completely agree with both y'alls. Thanks again for your advice and Happy New Year!!!:cheers:

Back