Outlook from those on the ground

goldenboy

Hey guys, I usually spend a few days in North Dakota every year chasing ringnecks. I am interested in hearing from those that live in the state or travel there regularly. What are you seeing for water? Last year was crazy wet has it leveled out? How are the crops looking? I imagine the corn is pretty tall right now! Has anyone seen much for broods? I hunt a few different parts of the state so I am not looking at just one area, but I am interested in what guys across the state are seeing.

SW is dry as dust...corn is high but not much was planted. Sunflowers look okay for now...a lot of wheat is in the bin already.. Seeing a few more birds than last year at this time.

Had some early moisture but pretty sparse from May on.....vegetation isn't as tall or heavy as normal but okay in places. Wish we could have had some June/July help.....

Central to NW corner should be really good seeing lots of birds, beans, corn, flowers going to come off late due to getting planted late. Hun coveys are ginormous, might be a lot of duck hunters around the countryside with the border being shutdown, as always things can vary quite a bit, cover up North is tall and robust. A final cautionary note, because some fields couldn’t be planted, quite a few just got left alone, I’ve never seen as much foxtail as I am seeing this year, especially along low drainages.

Central to NW corner should be really good seeing lots of birds, beans, corn, flowers going to come off late due to getting planted late. Hun coveys are ginormous, might be a lot of duck hunters around the countryside with the border being shutdown, as always things can vary quite a bit, cover up North is tall and robust. A final cautionary note, because some fields couldn’t be planted, quite a few just got left alone, I’ve never seen as much foxtail as I am seeing this year, especially along low drainages.
Great news !!!

Howdy from the SW part of The Free State of North Dakota. Been miserably dry & hot this summer. My food plot never really got a good start & looks like stir fried macumba, it's so poor I'm seriously thinking of plowing it under. Crops are OK to poor. As PTM said, lots of foxtail this year, also we had a substantial blue-green algae bloom across the state. Decent numbers of pheasants & huns around my place, I would say they look better than last year. Haven't seen much for sharps but not really sharp country right around here. Have some spots I'll be checking when it opens in a couple weeks. If anyone cares, we had a bumper crop of doves this year. I don't put a lot of effort into doves but I'm looking forward to starting in on them on Sept 1st. Beats shooting clays...

Last edited:
Back