Opinions on Benelli 828U

TheWanderer

I'm looking at getting a new upland 20 gauge and two finalists are the Browning Cynergy CX and Benelli 8282U

I've had brownings and have a cynergy wicked wing. Very nice.

But I picked up and pointed the 828U in store and even though I didn't want to like it, it just points naturally for me and comes to the shoulder right. Plus I can shim it to my fit (being lefty sucks most of the time). But I've read some negative reviews about the rib coming loose or ejector issues.

Looking for personal experiences with the Benelli to help me make a choice I don't regret.

Thanks.

My buddy won one last year at a PF banquet and took it to SD this last fall without even taking it out of the case. He killed the first three roosters he shot at and continued to shoot it well both times we went. He has had a few FTF with the second barrel but it could be operator error since he has never cleaned it.

Not the best reviews.

I bought a benelli 828u couple years ago. I am the second owner. I compete in trap, sporting Clays and also hunt.
The problem started at the trap range. After I shot the gun it would open intermittently. As soon as I pull the trigger and the shot is fired the action would open and usually after that if I went to shoot after that the striker wouldn't fire. I have to send it back to Benelli.

A friend of mine bought one for his son I've witnessed all kind of firing/ejecting issues with it...trigger assembly dropping out, ejector problems and problems with the breech lock popping open. Good luck

Be sure to check out the browning 725's in the feather or field in 20ga. I have both with 28" barrels. If I remember right they are close to the same price as the 828.

I tried both (the Benelli 828u and the Browning 725 sporting). Opted for the 725 Sporting in 20 gauge. When it came it was beautiful to behold, but alas, it would not assemble! The barrels would not close on the receiver, and the forearm would not close on the barrels! Bowning told me to send it in and they would make good. I just wonder how long it will be before I get my 725 back?

I tried both (the Benelli 828u and the Browning 725 sporting). Opted for the 725 Sporting in 20 gauge. When it came it was beautiful to behold, but alas, it would not assemble! The barrels would not close on the receiver, and the forearm would not close on the barrels! Bowning told me to send it in and they would make good. I just wonder how long it will be before I get my 725 back?
I had the same problem on a different o/u.
Had to push the open lever on the top to the side and then the breech closed.

Simple enough but not covered in the manual.

Back