Opening weekend report-Rush, Ness, & Trego Co.

akp

Four of us made our annual trip to Kansas last weekend. We were disappointed to say the least. I can't even begin to compare it to 2004, 2005, 2007, & 2008. We did end up finding two WIHA fields in southern Trego Co that were loaded with birds. We did much better last year walking in t-shirts without dogs on opening weekend. I found much if not most of the walk-in that I drove by had sparse cover. We did end up killing half our limit late in the day Saturday.

I know this sounds fairly negative, but I was in an area that was supposed to be the best it's been since the early 80s. Don't know about that. I know it is difficult to judge from one weekend afield, but in years past, we've taken limits from WIHA when it was decent. I'm sure if I had started out that far west on Saturday morning, I would have a little different perspective. We've been coming every year since 2001 and this year was more like 2002 for us. We just had real high expectations. We've always met those in the past. We hunt very hard and we hunt all day. Killed many limits from WIHAs.

What I found most disappointing was the quality (or lack of) in the WIHAs I saw in Rush Co.

Can any locals chime in on why some property is allowed to be enrolled in WIHA when there is no habitat? I saw a couple of sections that had shorter grass than my yard.

Found myself in a real bad situation about 11:00 Sunday morning. Got down a muddy road and 4WD saved my life. Pretty dicey. Came real close to being a long term resident of Ness County.

Anyway, we had a good time and got to shoot a few birds. It was definitely cooler and the dogs got some good work. We stayed in Great Bend at the America's Best Value Inn and I saw that big tent set up. Glad I wasn't in that group : )

Good luck to all. Time for me to focus on Oklahoma quail.

We are headed to the same area this week coming. We are staying near Cedar Bluff. Would you recommend areas more to the west or SW? I have not hunted any of the WIHA in Rush, but was planning on concentrating my efforts there until I read your report. Sure you aren't trying to keep us out your honeyholes?:D

I don't have any honeyholes. I hunt there once a year. That's it. I would definitely say northern Ness Co. and southern Trego Co. if I was in that general area. I just wasn't impressed with the WIHA around Bison, LaCrosse, & Rush Center. Granted, I did not see every WIHa in the northern half of Rush Co., but I didn't care for the ones I drove by. There are a couple of WIHAs right on the Ness Co/Trego Co line (one just east and one just west of Hwy 283 that have a lot of birds. Both have feed on the back side of them. Best of luck. There are definitely birds to be shot, but you better believe they will be spooky.

Ruch County

I hunter the opener and saw some short crp fields, but also saw some nice walk in directly east of libenthal about 4-5 miles. walk the cut mile in the afternoons. Good Luck !!!

Back