Opening Weekend in Kansas

Opener sucked for us. 11.7 miles two dogs 2 roosters 2 hens flushed one Rooster killed. Zero quail. Hunted dame prime parcels I have been hunting for 30 years. Worst opener I can remember.

Agreed. Three dogs walked 9 miles and flushed two hens and a single rooster that got up a 80 yards. Worst I have ever hunted.

We killed 3 roosters and lost one. Missed a few others. Definitely down around here from last year.

Same success as you guys we hunted same private grass that we have hunted for 40 years. LO thinks it might be all the uncut milo Did everyone else have standing milo? Several locals had commented about having been seeing them but they where NOT in the grass around DC

Spent the weekend out in NW KS, got 3 yesterday on 5 shots and 3 today on 15+ shots. Just terrible shooting today but it was good seeing more birds.

Moved East this morning and did really well for the few hours we walked before we headed back. We killed 9. Lost 1 and missed several more we should have had. Probably should have had 13 or 14 total in a full day and three hours this morning.

Attachments

• D210AEBD-5F4B-4AC9-AC49-AFE8970D4FF8.jpeg
    D210AEBD-5F4B-4AC9-AC49-AFE8970D4FF8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
3 birds for me with 3 shells. Glad I put in the Briley light modified tube. Didn't hunt much and didn't see much. Dog got skunked this morning. Ruined the whole day.

3 birds for me with 3 shells. Glad I put in the Briley light modified tube. Didn't hunt much and didn't see much. Dog got skunked this morning. Ruined the whole day.
Quart of 3% peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, squirt of dish soap. Mix it up. Sponge it on. Rub it in. Rinse after 5 minutes. Repeat if you want.

Got 97% of the smell off Otis last weekend in SD. It was bad.
AE9pwKD.jpg

Uh oh. Had one get it bad once. Was ready to throw in the towel then she pointed a covey of birds before I got to the truck. That’s no fun for sure. Dad had one black out once and was unconscious for awhile after getting sprayed.

You know it could have been worse. Seems like he got a mouth and nose shot. I did the peroxide thing twice and then sponged down with a stout douche from massingale. Much better but if you put your nose up to his snout you can still smell it. His body seems to have dodged the bullet.

Quart of 3% peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, squirt of dish soap. Mix it up. Sponge it on. Rub it in. Rinse after 5 minutes. Repeat if you want.

AE9pwKD.jpg
Used this recipe serval times and it works well. Dog was able to take his usual spot at the foot of the bed the same night. Doesn’t work nearly as well on collars and vests but I can leave them outside.

My brother in law and I shot 8 over 2 days. Mostly out of some standing feed corners. Saw easily a hundred birds a day but we were pushing them around between corners and flushing them again so 60 is probably a more accurate count. It was fun though. Having a couple of 15 or 20 bird flushes on each end of a corner made for exciting weekend. My pup got a ton of bird exposure and made some nice retrieves , left the big dog in the truck unless we were hunting crp. Dang there were a bunch of sand burrs though though the pups feet are gonna be sore awhile

Just ok for us. Saturday: 8 hunters in the morning, 7 in the afternoon. We downed 9 birds and picked up 7, we quit about 3:00. Sunday we had 7 hunters and downed 5 birds and picked up 3. We quit about 12:00. Mixture of private and WIHA. The WIHAs we hunted on Saturday were getting hit HARD.

AE9pwKD.jpg
This. One thing to remember is to put the concoction on before getting the dog wet. I made that mistake once and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. :)

Back