Opening day!

Saw over 160 pheasants in one field. But with bad shooting and losing cripples. We didn't limit out, well I didn't limit out and the two other guys didn't. Also the dog was amazing today. She had a ton of lock up perfect points. Almost all the pheasants held pretty tight. In all today was pretty good. How did everyone else do?

Opening day

11 guys to start with, 8 at the end in the Bucklin area Saturday; 14 pheasants 3 quail, 5 of the birds came off of Walk in Hunting. Moss and Cash (my son's two labs) did great, they found 6 or 7 birds that we would have never found on long retrieves & Cash even pointed a pheasant and I shoot it solo for my second bird of the day. Not and overwhelming number of birds in the area, lots of crops still in the field. I hunt opening day each year with a family that I have become friends with and the hunt is fun with or without birds, Sunday back in Sumner County we only made it through one field where we got 4 birds before the rain got to heavy in the second field forcing us to head in.

Sure got wet today, actually thought I was out duck hunting. Didn't have many shots yesterday and today but made the most of them to limit out both days.

Four of us hunted West of Ulysses and had a very good hunt Saturday. The temps were cool in the morning and we had 11 birds by lunch. It got a little warmer in the afternoon but we managed to bag 5 more birds for a limit. The scenting conditions were good and the dogs worked well. We missed a few in the morning or we could have been done by lunch, but I'd rather hunt all day anyhow. We had quite a few flushes of 15-20 birds. We were hunting private land and most of the birds were shot out of the CRP corners around milo. Today (Sunday) we walked a few fields and had a few shots, but mainly got wet and cold. We decided to head back early. The bird numbers in the SouthWest part of the state seem to be average. Not as good as two years ago but better than last year.

We shoot we score

Brothers, Here a a couple of pics from saturday. had to hunt hard but we did ok. Eliie may and her 2 sons Rufus and Jack did great and Rufus even honored his moms point on a rooster I shot. Nirvana!!!!! Please see attached and enjoy.

P.S Ryan the lab not pictured too tire to get out of the kennel due to pinning a rooster and just bring it to me. She must know I am a terrible shot!

You didn't miss a shot Bilbo? Is the streak still going?

I actually missed a shot yesterday to break my streak. Took four shots to finally kill one of my roosters today. Dropped him with a nice first shot but he decided to run so I blasted three more times (45 yards) until he slowed down. I thought he was a goner though until I actually picked him up. So, here I am standing there with an empty gun and a different rooster flushes six inches from my right foot. (He was holding tight I would say.) I grabbed for another shell but had my duck hunting rain jacket on and could not get to my shell vest very fast. I finally located one shell and chambered it. I looked up and the rooster was in almost the same spot since he flew straight into the 40 MPH breeze. I was able to pop him with an easy 25 yard shot and couldn't believe it. Wow, what a wet day and lots of wind late. I will be back out Monday and Tuesday for more action.

We had a slow day. Killed one pheasant and one quail. Could have shot better and had a couple more. Had quite a few birds flush wild and still a lot of crops in, so hopefully quite a few birds made it through the opening barrage.

ok?

Brothers, Here a a couple of pics from saturday. had to hunt hard but we did ok. Eliie may and her 2 sons Rufus and Jack did great and Rufus even honored his moms point on a rooster I shot. Nirvana!!!!! Please see attached and enjoy.

P.S Ryan the lab not pictured too tire to get out of the kennel due to pinning a rooster and just bring it to me. She must know I am a terrible shot!
Dang looks to me like you guys drilled them i want to go with you lol! Show me how its done.Did you guys do any good around valley falls?

The opener was pretty tough for our group. We had some great points in our first pass through wheat stubble Saturday morning, but no birds were harmed in the process. We went to milo next, a field that I expected to be loaded, but we couldn't seem to get the birds to quit running and start flying. We tried a variation of things, but just weren't getting a lot of great shot opportunities and missed some birds we should've killed. Saw 7 coveys of quail Saturday, but didn't get a chance at many singles. There are good numbers of pheasants out there this year.....the weather Saturday just didn't help us to harvest many. We ended up w/ 5 in the bag at the end of the day, which is about 20 short of our usual opening day harvest. Several of us had the opportunity to get our limits and have nobody to blame but ourselves. We had 11 quail by the end of the day, 3 of which someone outside of our group shot, but my dogs found em' for the guy so he gave em' to me and I'm counting those as part of our day.

Sunday morning there were only 3 of us (me, my 14/yo cousin, and my dad). We started on CRP WIHA that had many hunters in it the day before. It was loaded with birds. We had a hard time distinguishing hens from roosters at first light b/c of the mist, so we let a couple of roosters fly away not wanting to take the chance of shooting a hen. We got a couple of real nice points in better light and took both of the roosters w/ one shot each. We finished the day at 9am with a final walk of a tree patch. 2 roosters flushed wild and a third was pointed. My dad and I shot at the exact same time and the bird came crashing down w/ 2 busted wings.

All in all it ended up being a great weekend. We didn't fill the tailgate full of birds for a bragging picture, but that doesn't seem to matter so much anymore. I had a great time with the exception of my house dog poking a hole in my friend's GSP puppy. Now I'm watching it snow outside wishing I could be out west instead of in this office. I know the guys are doing well out there today.

Best of luck to all! It's going to be a good season:thumbsup:

Opening Day
don't have any pictures, but it was a good day to be an upland hunter!
# of hunters - 1
# of dogs - 0
fields hunted - 2
pheasants flushed - 15 (12 hens)
quail flushed - 0
# of shots - 2
bagged - 0
What a day!!!

Beaker, I liked how you posted your hunt statistics. Easy to follow.

Here's how our Opening Day went.
# of hunters - 4 (Wife, 12 and 7 year old sons and Proud Dad)
# of dogs - 3 GSP's
fields hunted - 6
pheasants flushed - 30 (18 hens)
quail flushed - 0
# of shots - ?? Lost Count, Wife and Kids unloaded at site of Rooster.
# of Roosters missed- 10
bagged - 2

Wife and Kids are hooked!

4113125410_e13d5b7d30_o.jpg

Just OK

Only a Pointer,

No, we were out west of La crosse ks. I am going to hunt around Valley Falls this weekend. I have not gotten any reports from my locals up there since most went out west too. Send me a PM if you are going to be in that area sunday. Maybe we can hook up and walk some large spots I know of.

Just returned from hunting 3 days in Stevens-Seward county. There is still some grain in the field but with good weather I believe it could be cut in the next week. We saw enough birds to keep it interesting and were able to bag some. By the way they were acting I don't believe they had much stress the opening week end, probably because of the weather. Heard some reports that Haskell county had good potential and missed the big hail this summer. I am guessing this year will be better than last but not like 07. The cover was much heavier than last year and lots of the cut fields has some good trash. Even the good farmers had more weeds etc than last year I assume because of the timely rains. So if they don't get in there too quickly and plow under the stubble it will make for some interesting hunting, If we have a decent winter maybe next year will be a big one for numbers.

Tuesday report
November 17, 2009
Hunters: 1
Dogs: 0
Pheasants: 201 102 roosters/99 hens
Quail: 0
Shots taken: 5
Roosters bagged: 4
Enjoyment level: Awesome, birds flushing all around me in this new honeyhole.
Summary: Wasted a shell today and must be punished. My bad. Punishment will entail returning to this location November 25, 2009 for five days of melt my barrel action.

Opening Day Results

Number of Hunters: 4
Number of Dogs: 4 Brittanies
Days Hunted: 3
Area Hunted: NW WIHA
Birds Bagged: 31

Nice hunt, and considering the rain out on Sunday, pretty productive.

photostream

Back