Opening day!!!!!!

engpointerman

Well the local got his butt kicked in ways. Not sure what went wrong. We hunted till noon. Shot 10. Everything that was in range was shot but my ace in the hole spot let me down. Got one bird. Anyways had fun with friends so it dont matter.

Nice work! I'm headed out tomorrrow to see if we can't find some of those birds buried under the snow. How were the crowds?

I stayed on the Otis side of things. It was pretty quiet. I started southwest of yuma and there was plenty of traffic that direction. The Pheasants forever banquet was as full as I have ever seen till getting people fed went to chit. Than they started leaving.

The dogs worked pretty good for not being out hardly this summer. I really want to get my border collie hunting. She is bird crazy.

Opening day treated us well but my poor shooting had me frustrated all day. I only came home with one and should have came home with my limit. I have never seen so many hunters before. Seriously there were spots that looked like the parking lot at a Broncos game. With groups of 10 plus walking the fields it is a miracle if any birds survived at all in some spots.

Perfect weather, great habitat, and I came home with a bird! What else can you ask for. Hope everyone did good yesterday or atleast had a nice time enjoying nature.

Ringneck

Opening day treated us well but my poor shooting had me frustrated all day. I only came home with one and should have came home with my limit. I have never seen so many hunters before. Seriously there were spots that looked like the parking lot at a Broncos game. With groups of 10 plus walking the fields it is a miracle if any birds survived at all in some spots.

Perfect weather, great habitat, and I came home with a bird! What else can you ask for. Hope everyone did good yesterday or atleast had a nice time enjoying nature.

Ringneck

See, that's why I like the corn to be up opening weekend. It saves the birds for later in the season.

I got my butt kicked too.Hunted 4 days for 6 roosters and my dog caght 1 of them. I think I was sold some defective ammo as I could have limited out ten times over.
The one thing I found about all this cover is that there are alot more places for those critters to hide.Way more birds than Ive ever seen before. I found 2 fields where well over 100 birds got up and several more with 50-60. Its not as obvious where to look for them in some of my fields as in past years. I think I would have done alot better with a group.
the corn screwed my too. My dog lost his first bird ever when I dropped it in the edge. He looked for 1/2 hour but it must have hit the ground runnin and with all the fresh sent he was lost, Im still kickin myself for even takin the shot, Wont do that again.
Gonna give them a week to get more corn out then back out for 4 more days. Ill get those birds figured out as well as my shootin. :cheers:

Uncle just is leavin town in the mornin. But we had huge success in my opinion. Got our butts kicked today but poor shooting is the culprit.

Well, I finally ventured out yesterday to the endless miles of mudboggin! HOLY!

Tough day, but my new pup on her first hunt worked her arse off and I could not be happier! I just wish she could have been rewarded a bit more for her efforts!

It was tough finding some corners without corn in the WIA I checked! I found a couple together with great looking cover, but the corn still in, though we still took off! I will say, that the corn there must have held a million birds! Sounded like one huge chior of cackling coming outta there! Jumped a couple of hens and one rooster way outta range the entire 3+ miles! Not one trigger pull!

We were also close to some fields that I had great success at last year, but are no longer WIA!:( We drove by them anyway, and as mentioned by others, TONS of birds all over the place! Dang it!

Finally found two more circles together with great looking cover all around and no corn, so we made a run for it again! Jumped a couple of hens right away and of course another rooster way the heck out there that I am sure we had nothing to do with.

Then as we were well past the 2 mile mark and less than a mile back to the truck, she rewarded herself! She too jumped a couple and got one in mid air and brought er back! It was a small chick! Could barely fly it was so young, so they sure must have had a couple very late hatches! It was unharmed so I praised the heck outta my pup and stuck er in the vest. As I sent her to hunt em up again, I snuck it back out and let er free to die another day;)

Not one minute later she is getting really birdy and low and behold we jump a good dozen chicks and again she snags one on its jump! Though this time she got it by the head and its own flapping broke its neck! Well, it was at least half a rooster so I kept it and praised the heck out of my girl for it! She worked her tail off all day and I was so proud of her! Though it was pretty wierd having two birds in hand and never pulling the trigger!

On the way back to the highway we scouted a couple more areas and in two different places we again saw large groups of chicks running everywhere!

Might not be able to get back out for spell, so it was at least good to get her on her first hunt and as well as she did I am one proud papa!

20091117_03.jpg

20091117_07.jpg

You can barely see the red starting around the eye and then these tail feather might win me the 'shortest' rooster feathers contest!
20091117_12.jpg

20091117_13.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure? With those tail feather so definately seperated and much longer than the rest? Man, I am gonna have to report my dog then for bagging a hen!:(

I will add that the other chick that I released did not have that set of tail feathers growing like this one.:confused:

Ah dang it!:eek: I am gonna have to work her much harder as to not jump any more hens then!

Dang, I feel bad now! So what does a guy do in case like this? I suppose I can call the DOW and let them know. How bad of trouble can I get in when I tell them my dog got it all by herself?:confused:

Definitely a hen. That's $10 you owe to PF. That's what I make everyone I hunt with do if they hit a hen.

You may want to pull those pictures before Deputy Dog smacks you around.

If you don't believe us, do a search on google. And don't worry, I'm sure more than a few of us have accidently hammered a hen in the past. ;)

Back