Opening Day

Had to miss this weekend for work, but got out Monday and saw buckets of birds with my 4-yo French Brittany. Only saw 2 other hunters, so that probably helped. Should have limited out by 10am easy but my gun is a conservationist and I got my limit by noon after my dog put up 9 roosters in gun range. Probably put 16 up in total, with 4 of those flushing with a group of 7 hens. Had to really pace ourselves and take some cool-down breaks because of the heat. Looking forward to the cooler weather on Saturday.

I have a male "American Brittany". He said your dog is a pussy.

:cheers:Very funny guys :)I am a brittany owner also...great dogs!

I also have French shotgun that I am trying to sell...never been fired and only been dropped once...:)

Sometime over 50 years ago, the name of the breed was changed to "American Brittany". No Frenchy, no spaniel. OR I could have had a pot induced flashback????

Last edited:
For those that have been hunting WIA; how bad were the crowds the first couple weekends?

Was out Thurs and Fri of last week and the motel was full of hunters it seemed but never ran into another hunter in the field.

Sometime over 50 years ago, the name of the breed was changed to "American Brittany". No Frenchy, no spaniel. OR I could have had a pot induced flashback????

Here's a pretty good, succinct comparison: https://pheasantsforever.org/BlogLa...eld/American-Brittany-or-French-Brittany.aspx

I can tell you from anecdotal evidence that my French Britt works closer and is more methodical than the few "Americans" I've hunted over. There's also a pretty clear body type difference - the few French Britts I've met have a noticeably more compact build and are a bit shorter.

Back