Opening day!

Great hunts and pics guys. I'm excited to go out again Thursday. Looking forward to another great hunt! Anyone else hunt Chester county area?

I had enough time for another 45 minute hunt today. The dogs were busy in those 45 minutes as we moved 3 hens (all off points) and 6 roosters. The roosters were running for the most part which led to some good dog work. The first bird was in a safety zone and the next 4 didn't offer much of a shot. The dogs would point, work the running bird and then the bird would flush wild.

Not the best picture but this bird ran and Champ had it pointed about 100 yards from here. The bird ran in front of Champ which proved to be too much for the pup. He broke point, chased and the bird flushed.
FullSizeRender_zpsfft4pxte.jpg

After a couple more flushes in the woods, Nittany found one that settled down.
Blitz and Champ came in after him.

FullSizeRender_zpsc15e2hw2.jpg

Champ brought him out.
FullSizeRender_zpsbvb1lmvh.jpg

The dogs didn't get much of a break today which is a good thing. It will be a day or two until I get back out.

The bird I bagged was eating well.
IMG_1975_zps7blhmajt.jpg

He was full of corn. My two boys like seeing this.

:thumbsup::10sign:

Very nice, love the pics. I'm aching for this Thursday! Wish I could go out more but I'm still still at the mercy of my friends dog, so my time out is limited to when they are available.

Anyone know how to get public land turned into a PF zone, one of the spots that aren't for hunting just for repopulation?

Another great hunt thanks to PA G C and their restocking efforts. Dog was flushing 5-8 birds at a time in some areas!

Just joined and wanted to share my opening day. Great start to the 2015 season for Rusty my 9 year old GSP. 7 points/flushes and 2 knockdowns. One of the knockdowns resulted in a 60 yard crippled bird chase that ended when Rusty made one of the best open field tackles I have seen outside of an NFL game. Myself as the shooter, need more practice. Heading back for more Friday.

Guess I need some help on uploading photos to replies. Read the FAQs section but I must be doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Way to go guys and beautiful photo's! :thumbsup:

JohnMac, you're right about the PGC and their great efforts to keep the small game hunting tradition alive in Pa. and I try to mention it whenever I can, they really appreciate the positive feedback.

RustyGSP, Welcome to the site! I think you'll enjoy it here, the Moderators do a great job of keeping everything in line and no one is going to judge you by what style of hunting you choose to take place in. Rusty is a fine looking pup! :thumbsup:

Very nice! I am in the same boat, if they dog was flushing and shooting we would have limited out in 10 minutes, but Unfortunatly I am the shooter!

With pics, in laymans terms. Make a account on photo bucket. Download pics to photo bucket. Click on the recently downloaded pic and then click share. Chose the links options and then copy paste the link that says IMG or IMAGE. Put the link in here and once you submit your comment the picture will appear.

:coolpics: I really like that view John..and it looks like good habitat!

Welcome Rusty..this is the place to be if you love pheasant hunting!

It's a beautiful area and very pretty views. Terrain in great a lot of corn fields, a lot of brush area and tree lines by the lakes with grass in between them all. Makes for s really good fun hunting area and the birds feel comfortable, for a little while lol.

I had a crazy week at work, so decided I needed a mental health day. I headed up to PA this morning for an early morning hunt. It was great! Started out with steady rain, then strong wind, and then calmed down and got sunny. The first hour Sadie hunted hard but didn't get a single flush. She got birdie a few times, but couldn't find anything. Later in the hunt we flushed a rooster on a tree row and bagged it. Sadie's first rooster! We hunted for another hour and were about to head back to the truck when I saw one last patch of cover I wanted her to work. It didn't look like it was going to be productive when she caught scent and did a 180 and went into some knocked down switchgrass. She kept pouncing at the grass but nothing was happening (thought maybe it was another coyote/fox kill - found 2 this hunt). I walked over and kicked in the grass and still nothing. She jumped in one last time and grabbed something with her mouth and was trying to pull it out. Sure enough there was a hen bedded down and not moving. I had to pull the switchgrass apart to even find the hen to get it untangled. I was impressed! Ended up with our first limit.
https://goo.gl/photos/XtzNGrQ6AKmJLz1z6

https://goo.gl/photos/YoNLa7mVxec3sjy39

https://goo.gl/photos/b7puYcRpA7XmJmpg9

The foxes/coyotes appear to be eating well.

https://goo.gl/photos/tHqW9UzbGsSsH5K6A

https://goo.gl/photos/yMkwHbJtVvdWtM1BA

Last edited:
great job Sadie you never forget the first congrats. I a took a boy out tonight I didn't carry a gun could of shoot at a couple was glad that he was smart not to shoot at running birds because drake was right behind, I couldn't see him to stop I'm getting a better bell to hear but he did get one tonight happy kid,.

Anyone know how to get public land turned into a PF zone, one of the spots that aren't for hunting just for repopulation?

PA_WPRAs_and_Potential_Habitat_Map.jpg

Here is a map that highlights(in green) areas the PGC believes have the potential to one day become a WPRA. I have been very vocal about creating a WPRA in Bradford County but a big hurdle to that becoming a reality is that no PF chapter exists in Bradford County..I would start one but live to far away so for now no WPRA.

If you look at the map..there is green in Chester County so the potential is there but you will need a PF chapter because cooperation is key.

Back