Opening day

me and my step daughter each harvested one today, we saw quite a few birds but im thinking some of my shells didnt have any pellets in them;);) there were alot more other pheasant hunters out today, more than i anticipated. when the north winds kicked up we decided to call it a day, plus my one year old weim was starting to look alittle tired, i was pretty impressed with my new weimerianer. good times today:thumbsup:

Hey guys -

I'm still here. Thanks for the email prompt, Kraig.

Traveling a lot for work so very little scouting. Actually none. Was in PHX until yesterday. Now my wife is in Dallas for work, so I've all three kids alone.

Arranged for a sitter this morning so I could take a friend out. In three fields, Pomeroy area, we counted 6 roosters and 12 hens. The first field by far the best with 5 and 9 respectively. I put my buddy on the inside with the dogs and he had four within range, pulling on three, killing two.

Bird numbers, and hunters, were WAY down. I didn't even shoulder the gun. Can't remember the last time that happened. Any day afield, especially Opener.

Still ... heading out tomorrow for a few hours after church. With another day, I'm hoping for better luck.

Nate - Good to hear you got out this morning but bummer about the numbers. Glad to hear you are well, I bet Gunner was happy to be back out there.

There are lots of days and lots of fields ahead this season. I'm sure you and Gunner will have many good days ahead.

I played 18 holes of golf this morning in Kansas City, all the while thinking about you bird hunters in Iowa. I can't wait to get out there in a few weeks. Keep the opening reports coming.

Saw some birds

I hunted about 1.5 hours NW of Des Moines. In six hours of solo hunting with 2 GSP's I saw 5 roosters and 5 hens and killed 3 roosters. I hunted both public and private and saw birds on both.

nice goin rbn, im hitting N.W. central iowa next weekend, probley around the jefferson area, and may end up in sac county, i really like that area.

Whats this the Iowa forum alive:):thumbsup: Nice reporting guys. I'm playing farmer so no hunting yet. Farm we're at know I'm seeing birds it's by 160 acres of public ground.

Sunday report.

Decided to head to a private piece, so slept in a little more than usual. Drove by yesterdays piece at 7:47 and it was empty.. Hmmm.. Drove another mile to the private land, only to find that it had been mowed and baled and nothing left. Decided to head back to state ground I hit yesterday. Ran into a buddy on the way back with the same idea, and off we go. 7:53, and one other car on 670 acres.. cool..

Buddy parked where I did yesterday, and I went to the far east edge to work my way to the half, and then back against the wind. 805 I leave the truck, and within 5 minutes, I hear a single shot off to the west.. Good for him, probably..

812 brings my first point, and a rooster jumps up and flanks back into the sun. I don't necessarily remember it as being in slow motion, but when the litte 20 barked once, the rooster fell and Breez made a nice retrieve in the cattails. I moved onward to the north west, and a 825, both dogs lock up. I walk up, and a young of the year rooster jumps up and flies directly back at me, so I swing around and dump him on the way by.. Breez rushes out to make the retrieve, and I set the gun down and grab my phone to take a picture of her bringing it back.. Just after I snap the photo, another young rooster jumps up 12 yards away and my gun is still on the ground. Ellie was still pointing.. My fault Ellie.. Sorry..

I hear as series of shots off to the west.. More than expected, from my buddie, whos a great shot, and has good dogs..

I continue onward towards where the jail break birds were the day before.. but no ones home. I run into my buddy, and first thing he says is "You just gotta smile when youre pissed off".. I said what happened? You miss? He said no, I got the first bird I shot at, when a group of birds jumped up. (possibly the jailbreak birds). He said they flew north, and I started heading that direction, when another truck pulls up and cut me off. They had to have seen the birds fly ahead, because of the lay on the land and the timing. The joys of hunting public ground..

I got back to truck at 9:20 with 2 birds, he had one, and was going to the other side of the section, as no one had been there all morning.

Me, I had to go back to work..

Made the final payment on a pickup last week. Transmission goes out this morning.. Go figure..

For not having hunted Iowa for 5 years, Im actually a pretty happy camper, (except for all the work).

7 days in South Dakota next week.. Looking forward to it..

my sunday report,,, pulled up to the same spot we hunted yesterday, at 7:56 i here roosters cackle about 30-50 yards from my truck... so im real quiet, there is a rather big party up the road from me, at that time their last buddy flies by in his truck and is laying on his horn as he wizzes by me,,,, three roosters and one hen decide to bail,,, gues were they were sitting ya they flew to the other side of the road were that big party was. about 10:45 i head back to my truck after seeing NOTHING, the big party was getting ready to leave i pulled up and asked if ya had any luck, they said we saw a few but missed. :rolleyes::D:D im thinking thats what ya get suckers, the joy of public land,oh well i think i may have a nice peice of private for next weekend probley a sunday deal. headed up north next saturday cant wait.

Sorry!

Sorry to hear that Roscoe!

I'll share my favorite hunting interruption of all time!:)

In 1991 standing by a crp section with my friend and the landowner at the time at 7:30 a.m. when a group of men pull up and one jumps out and starts screaming obscenities at us and telling us to leave or he is going to call the cops. Gene handled it well and ask him if he owned the land. Hell no he says but he used to farm with the owner and he knew for sure that no other individuals were allowed to hunt. What year was this? replied Gene. Last year goddammit!

Gene motions to me to share how he was the current landowner and how the family farm has been in his family for 143 years. As I shared the story and the faces drained of color the first truck floors it and sprays all others with gravel. Nothing said just three trucks moving on.:)

My point Roscoe is that we all share this land. Sometimes people are going to overstep-outright lie or otherwise impede others attempting to hunt. You did the right thing--God only knows the number of "crazies" out there and what they may attempt to do in a situation like yours.

I feel going home empty may have been due to a "higher power" than you.:p

Hunted Northwest Iowa (Saturday; Lemars, Owens, Remsen and Sunday; Danbury, Mapleton, Ute) and came up with nothing. We saw 2 birds; both adult roosters lots of corn in. Hoping that the corn in and warm weather had the birds spread out and once harvest is over and the snow flies we can see a bit more action.

The weekend was a blast. The reports were mostly accurate. But you can still find birds.
Sat. I have a rooster/Hen count of 9-12 and my group was able to drop 3. Here is a pcture of my little female with one of the birds.
( I dont put my dogs in photos with birds unless they had a hand in the bagging of said bird).
DSCN2963_zps4051ce02.jpg

Sunday was another great day.smaller group and bigger area. Right out of the gate we had a chance at 2 roosters. My husbands safety didnt come off and I had my frozen fingers in my pocket when the birds erupted. no big deal. My husband connected on a 2 year old bird not long after and I on a yearling an hour or so later. My bird crashed down into this narley stuff and I could not find it. I called my male back to me and had him comb the area. 10 minutes go by and he returns to me, with the still very much alive bird!
Later on that same stretch we had 5 hens and 2 roosters erupt. My male also brought me a hen mallard that he had found in the marsh. I waited for him to continue on and I quietly tucked her away in the weeds.
We did a lot of walking and a little napping in the wide open spaces, that was cool. Taking a nap on a beautiful day with a bird in each bag.:)

RSCN3001_zps4c0c91de.jpg

DSCN2999_zps2a93cfa6.jpg

DSCN2995_zps7bfcf476.jpg

DSCN2971_zps7d0d3f06.jpg

Nice Job!

Great pictures and a successful weekend for both of you!:)

We are all going to have to look at our other inspirations this year in Iowa. I can't say I have ever napped in a field--cool!:)

Thanks for sharing your two days!

Fast forward to 3 pm today, I found a break in the work and told the wife I was taking Breez out for a little walk. Season ends at 4:30, so I wont be long.. I gather up my stuff and collar up Breez and head down the driveway to a small piece of walk in near my house. 3:13,(from my driveway) I sent a text to 519vx that I was heading back out for a short walk. 3:24 I sent him a text of Breez retrieving a rooster.. 3:30 IM back in the yard.. Wife asks me what I forgot..;) Not many things better than waking up a rooster taking an afternoon nap in a fenceline.

From this morning:

20131027_092615.jpg

20131027_093051.jpg

20131027_083341.jpg

From this afternoon:

20131027_1523102.jpg

those are some great pics of the munsterlander, i dont know a whole lot about them,,,, but they are sure great looking dogs, my weim needs a buddy and i am in the market for another hunting dog, just trying to decide what breed.

those are some great pics of the munsterlander, i dont know a whole lot about them,,,, but they are sure great looking dogs, my weim needs a buddy and i am in the market for another hunting dog, just trying to decide what breed.

Just do your homework on the bred and especially the breeder. I know just about all of them and have been very disappointed in some of the goals for the breeding programs.

All in all it is a great little breed. They will range from 19-22 inch range but hunt like a big dog and have a big dog attitude.

Where are you located? I would find someone close and see if you can walk with them on a hunt. That is a good place to start.

opener

our annual hunt was very good! central iowa,all young birds! my hunt was cut short because of the snow coming in the rockies. i don't want to get snowed in on my way home.

Just do your homework on the bred and especially the breeder. I know just about all of them and have been very disappointed in some of the goals for the breeding programs.

All in all it is a great little breed. They will range from 19-22 inch range but hunt like a big dog and have a big dog attitude.

Where are you located? I would find someone close and see if you can walk with them on a hunt. That is a good place to start.

i here ya on doin the homework, i own a 1 year old field bred weimerianer and to find a good well bred weim is a hard task. but i was rewarded with a real special one his pedigree is loaded with field champs starting with his sire, his sire is an AKC back to back breed specific all age gun dog champ in 2011/2012 and he has two hall of famers close in his line also. he's all go no show. anyway im about 25 miles south east of des moines in the runnells area. i wouldnt mind seeing some of those munsters in action, beautiful dogs.

I tried to post a longer story, but I hunted the afternoon on Saturday on public and all 3 of us got 2. I hunted private back home for 1 hour on sunday and dog never got birdy in two small draws. Hopefully the farmers get some corn out this week so my better spots can be hunted.

i here ya on doin the homework, i own a 1 year old field bred weimerianer and to find a good well bred weim is a hard task. but i was rewarded with a real special one his pedigree is loaded with field champs starting with his sire, his sire is an AKC back to back breed specific all age gun dog champ in 2011/2012 and he has two hall of famers close in his line also. he's all go no show. anyway im about 25 miles south east of des moines in the runnells area. i wouldnt mind seeing some of those munsters in action, beautiful dogs.

We are around Waterloo and hunt in the NW region. But we have gotten down around Pella, is that close?

Ill PM about breeders.

Back