Opening Day Video From Texas

What a bunch of BS. I live in TX and I'm embarassed to see this. That's not hunting. No grass, didn't see dogs (didn't watch it all though), penraised birds. Sigh!

Can someone tell me if that is typical Texas panhandle pheasant hunting? I've thought about heading that direction sometime in the future but that left me shaking my head, it looked a lot like hunting on a ping pong table. What struck me was they were able to see a bird 40 yards in front because of the lack of grass, there appeared to be NO cover in that field.

Not worth watching....not much pheasant hunting. On a scale of 1 to 10....I give it a 1. I wouldn't want to pursue birds in cover like that either. Looks like it may have been a good time with that group of guys, but my advice would be to get some pheasant footage on your next pheasant hunting video.

Can someone tell me if that is typical Texas panhandle pheasant hunting? I've thought about heading that direction sometime in the future but that left me shaking my head, it looked a lot like hunting on a ping pong table. What struck me was they were able to see a bird 40 yards in front because of the lack of grass, there appeared to be NO cover in that field.

No, it is not typical. The terrain in many areas is flat but the cover is typically very heavy CRP. I've never seen anything like in the video.

Cass

The Texas Panhandle has good hunting some years, not so good other years -and I'm talking wild birds. Some years it's no problem at all to get a limit by noon (most years limit is three, some it's two). I've hunted a lot around Muleshoe and the CRP is usually very thick.... and plenty of feed too.

Only problem with Texas is that 98% of pheasants are on private land. But several communities offer hunts that benefit volunteer fire departments and other things. Hunts are around $150 to $200 for opening weekend... depends on if you want to be guided or given a map and go to the leased areas on your own.

I don't know how the Texas season was this year. I've only hunted Kansas.

Back