Opening Day Plans!

Yea, it's hard to believe that Dugan at the same age went head first into the opener at a very busy SGL and produced birds for us on his first real hunt. But every pup matures at a different rate.
We'll be out for sure, but probably at a much less crowed venue.Still a few weeks to go, so we'll see how things go. Either way it's the best time of the year for sure!

I haven't even given it much thought yet. Right now I'm focused on next Saturday's youth hunt and then my trip to Maine. I will most likely stay close to home and try to avoid the crowds. I need to start looking at days to take of during the season. With my new work schedule I have the entire week of Thanksgiving off so I plan to hunt hard that week.

Good luck with that pup!

i plan to go early, cook some egg sandwiches and coffee. BS with the other folks that show up on the PGC lands and be on my way home by 9:00 hopefully with 2 roosters. last year i was heading home by 7:30 after limiting out for all 4 in our group. Wish it could be a longer day but i guess i just get lucky. by 1000 a lot of the crazy opening day only hunters show and i dont want my dog shot anyway. After 2 weeks or some real cold weather they stay home anyway.

We usually wait a little to get the egg sandwiches, by then we're good and hungry, but make no mistake it's part of the trip! lol.

WE have a traditional spot that we go to just because it's a tradition. We have to get in and out early because of the crowds. Then we have some very special areas that still hold some truly wild birds. We take time off to hunt these spots every year, missed those spots last year because our pup passed on.
Have a couple of weeks vacation time spread out over the season...can't wait!

you have to love those hidden gems. i won't even touch spots like that until late January i try to make it a tradition to fill my bag President's day weekend. no crowds and it allows me to keep the dog on birds to just about spring.

Well it won't be long now boys! :thumbs: We've decided to hunt a much less pressured area with our young Springer pup. It'l be a long day at work tomorrow but then the season begins, can't wait.

Good luck all. this is the time of year my wife says i spend more time wth the dog then her. Can't seem to argue with that as it is true. tomorrow i will be like a kid on Christmas eve. i won't be able to sleep in anticipation. after 36 years of hunting seasons hard to believe i still feel that way.

Drake and I'll will be ready good luck be safe and id run any pups in the afternoon they clear out quick...:thumbsup:

Well the work day is finally over, now it's a restless nights sleep and a very early rise! I can remember as a boy heading West on rt22 to our favorite spots. It seemed like every other truck/car had a bird dog in it. Back then 800,000 hunters chased the Ringneck, a number that is hard to imagine today.
The hunting is different today for sure, but we still love it!
Good luck everybody and be safe!

Back