Opener

Where is everyone heading on the opener?

Chad,
Colton and I are heading to the Rooster Roundup...give a shot, what the heck....good breakfast, better than doing honey dos around the house, get the dogs out....;)

Greg

I know where I want to go, it is a matter of going!! I will be close to you though!! Hoping for 1 bird!!

Same^^^ somewhere in northeast CO.;) And I have heard that there is 1 or 2 birds out there, so thats kind of a normal CO report!! Friends just got back from Perkins county NE and didn't fire a shot, bummer.

Well, I've still got all the shells I brought with me to the Nebraska opener, so 1 bird would be nice. Probably gonna stay up north for the CO opener. Maybe Phillips county? I've got a new pup this year, so it's not so much about killing birds as getting her hunting. Killing birds is nice, though...:)

Heading East with Pride. I have a few friends with new gun dogs that will join me. Despite the reports, I am excited for the adventure!

I will be out East on 11/10 (day trip). I am coming back East (potentially to Nebraska) two weeks later.

North and east for me.

Unleashing my panther ...
10395923514_4ecde469ba_z.jpg

... and the puppy.
9533027689_8da4402041_z.jpg

Should be fun.
Planning a trip to Montana in mid November.

Last edited:
Deer opens for me so I can't make it out the first weekend unless I get a quick one saturday and then heading NE for pheasants, sounds like an awesome weekend to me!! Lets see some pics when you guys get done

I've had my gear packed in the truck since this past weekend, thought about putting the shorthair in but the wife thought it might be a bit to early yet. We will be heading out to Yuma County hitting our regular WIA and then go from there. Ever since my youngest son shot his first bull elk opening day of the 1st rifle season my thoughts have definitely switched to pheasant and quail. I'm ready no matter what the reports say, sometimes the harder I have to hunt makes it the more rewarding when you find one.

Good luck to all and remember be safe a bird is not worth a hospital visit for you or the dog.

Where we going?

If you are up for it I'm in. Otherwise headed back to Chase County Nebraska. This time with #4s in the 20 gauge so I don't have wounded birds running away.... Will call you tonight to discuss further... By the way limited up opening weekend...

Not sure I'll be out for the opener... too darn crowded in my opinion. I'd rather wait a couple of weeks and let the crowds chill out. We'll see though.

Last year was the first year that I went on opening weekend. Only saw a few people. Could have been due to the drought. I am one who avoids the crowds as well. Figure that I might as well give it a go.

Not sure I'll be out for the opener... too darn crowded in my opinion. I'd rather wait a couple of weeks and let the crowds chill out. We'll see though.

I'll be headed to Kansas for the opener. Maybe hit a walk in or two in Colorado on the way out. Last year was too damn crowded for me opening day. Plus the fog last year made things a little dangerous with all of the different groups trying to hunt the same fields. Good luck to everyone and I hope it's a safe opener!

Gonna do the Rooster Round Up again this year. Hopefully my hot spots from the past years will again be enrolled in the round up.

Stel67 I would like to here how you did at the rooster round. Is this the one in Burlington and from what I read about it you have access to all the property for the entire hunting season not just the opening day? I am definitely interested in it for next year, to have access to what they claim is over 50,000 acres of private for the season would be worth the money.

staying home

won't miss the kansas opener one bit as i don't usually go anyway. ready to go but skipping the opener for me is just plain smart. see ya out there mid week where i don't have to ask anybody to move over, the luck of being retired and i can choose my days. i suspect that more than a few of you will see more birds than the gloomy forecast are saying. as for doing a better job at killing pheasants with the 20 ga. the # 4 shot is the wrong way to go and will just likely increase your problems. if you keep your shots under 40 true yards, 7.5's are all you need, multiple hits will do a better job than a couple of heavy pellets most every time, that and maybe open your chokes up some. good luck

cheers

Yes this is the one in Burlington. Correct you have access for the entire season. Most of the property enrolled is cut corm fields, most of the fields have little cover on the edges of the corn and are best suited for larger parties pushing and blocking. I generally stay away from these cut corn fields, but did pull off a double in one field I walked last year. The past couple of years I have limited out both days opening weekend. I hunt solo and without a dog. All in all it is a pretty nice thing they have going on. I like that my money goes to the locals to use for town projects. The people running it are also very friendly and generally seem to appreciate the hunters and the money they bring in for the town.

Stel67 I would like to here how you did at the rooster round. Is this the one in Burlington and from what I read about it you have access to all the property for the entire hunting season not just the opening day? I am definitely interested in it for next year, to have access to what they claim is over 50,000 acres of private for the season would be worth the money.

Back