Opener

snipet

yall can read more stories, even tho im not finished updating them, or the more in depth one of the below summary HERE

Holly crap were there just about a million people out there! Great for the states hunting revenue, bad for the limited amount of hunting area. I got up to the first state hunting area at a little bit before 0700, came up to the first area that i marked as "good" and ill be damned there were about 10 vehicles parked there. I drove around for about 30mins until i found a back road that i thought would lead to a back area...ya well two feet of mud later and i was stuck lol some farmer ladies had to pull me out with a tractor. Not a good way to begin the season!

I had saw about seven total roosters and they were all either in the open or alongside the road. One ole rooster was even sitting in someone’s front yard just watching traffic go by, almost laughing at me driving by. But they weren’t as dumb as you might think a raised pheasant would be, I chased one down a road that slipped right up a steep embankment into some crazy kinda thorny bushes. I looked for him a bit and ended up giving up when I couldn’t track him down, I'm no dog ya know, ha. But he was smart enough not to fly, because if he had he would have been mine. Anyway, I came to a spot that looked like it may be good because it was up a hill and tucked away from the normal route of travel, so I parked and headed that way. As I got up the hill a bit more there was a patch of grass, 50 yards wide by 120 yards long a good size for working by myself. As I start to walk down the middle I hear some cackling! Hmmm is this a rooster thats injured? Does he think it’s late evening and is calling out to the ladies? Is he bragging about making it though the morning of all the hunters? Ha, I didn’t know so I headed toward the sound. The closer I got the louder it became, until I could see him! He was much bigger than I thought of a farm raised rooster, the wind was going toward me so I got pretty close to him about 15 yards and as he finished his last cackle he was standing up tall and turned around and saw me! He tried to book it out of there and headed for the hedge row on the other side of the grass. Now, I was close but I didn’t want to shoot to close, especially after watching a guy shoot one at about 10-15 yards and just making a pillow out of him. So I let him get out to about 25-30 yards and let him have it. It was a good drop and he fell right there. It took a minute to find him but find him I did! Finally one rooster!

yall werent lieing about how different everything would be compared to the mid west. Most of the roads were all paved, and the gravel or dirt roads were wet as all can be. I couldnt believe how wet everything was! It was almost like everything was a swamp. After the first field i was mostly wet but i had my trusty water proof boots on...so i thought. a few fields later the water soaked through my pants and dripped down my legs into the tops of the boots. my feet were wet the rest of the day lol it also was alot different style of land, for a scenic view it was beautiful. All the color in the changing leafs and the mountains. the land out west is blocked off, thats not the north east lol

All in all I was thankful and happy that I got at least one.

'12opener.jpg

Last edited:
Nice story! Sorry to hear that you got stuck, though. I'm glad you were able to bag a bird. I'm sure it is difficult work with no dog. Opening day is always a tough one with the crowds but they tend to leave around lunch time. I went to a gamelands on Saturday around 12:15 and had the area to myself. Good luck the rest of the year.

What county were you hunting in?

Nice story! Sorry to hear that you got stuck, though. I'm glad you were able to bag a bird. I'm sure it is difficult work with no dog. Opening day is always a tough one with the crowds but they tend to leave around lunch time. I went to a gamelands on Saturday around 12:15 and had the area to myself. Good luck the rest of the year.

What county were you hunting in?

that'll teach me to go down muddy roads lol i thought i could make it to a high and dry patch of grass to turn around but it wasnt so.

ya it was kind of hit and miss for finding a spot and having it to only yourself. like i said in my article i just read a pheasants forever blog post about the unwritten code about first come first serve and not squeezing in other hunters. but with so many it was difficult. i was there from 7am-4:30pm, i did notice it dropping off around lunch and hoped that would help. but everything was worked and worked before i got to them.

I started in Adams county then moved into York and then off to Cumberland, where i got the rooster, and finished back in Adams.

I hunt and live in Adams county (I hunt York as well). If you ever see a guy out with 2 vizslas you are welcome to join me. I plan to go out Saturday morning in the area, most likely Adams county. But I'll have to be home around 12:00 for my son's last flag football game.

Good story..thanks for sharing! I think your going be just fine hunting here in Pa! Congrats on bagging your first Pa rooster!

Nice report, you certainly worked hard for your Rooster! Things will get better after you know the lay of the land a little better. Add another Pheasant Hunter to Pa..:thumbsup:

thanks guys.

looking as some maps and such and i think im going to try and get to some deeper areas back from the roads that people may have not hit so hard for this weekend.

The rule of thumb for hunting released birds right after the opener is to hunt where the guys won't go. It amazes me to see guys hunting the same fields time after time. Most if not all of the birds have been pushed out of those fields days ago. Locate some thick multiflora rose or swamps or any barrier that keeps hunters out and you will find birds, often these areas are just a few hundred yards from the stocked fields. There are always birds in these areas throughout the season and once you locate them these spots are good year after year.

It doesn't take long for these birds to start to pick up wild survival instincts, and in a few weeks their habits will change accordingly, but for now hunt them as fugitives, they are just looking for places to hide.

Last edited:
The rule of thumb for hunting released birds right after the opener is to hunt where the guys won't go. It amazes me to see guys hunting the same fields time after time. Most if not all of the birds have been pushed out of those fields days ago. Locate some thick multiflora rose or swamps or any barrier that keeps hunters out and you will find birds, often these areas are just a few hundred yards from the stocked fields. There are always birds in these areas throughout the season and once you locate them these spots are good year after year.

It doesn't take long for these birds to start to pick up wild survival instincts, and in a few weeks their habits will change accordingly, but for now hunt them as fugitives, they are just looking for places to hide.

gotchya

this time ive printed out the satellite images rather than trying to remember how to get to a back area looking at the SGL maps

we shall see how it goes tomorrow

Back