Opener Countdown

This was my first Minnesota opener as I am a new resident.

Hunted both Saturday and Sunday on public land. 21 flushes. 5 were roosters. 4 were shot at and bagged.

Had a wonderful time. Was pleasantly surprised at the uncrowded conditions and presence of birds (compared to Michigan).

2 of the roosters were very young birds.

Welcome to the state. Glad you found a few.

Made it out to a local WPA for a quick evening hunt last night, my first of the year. I saw a very good number of birds, however most were all young. We flushed 2 definite hens. 1 rooster, which I was lucky enough to bag, and it was probably the smallest/youngest rooster I can recall ever shooting. Then we flushed probably another 8-10 birds that I have no idea if they were roosters or hens, so no shots taken. Most of them took off in a straight line away from me and never allowed myself to get a good ID on their color or tail length. If they flushed to the side for a crossing shot I'm guessing they could have been ID'd... If they can survive a few more weeks to grow, and wait for the crops to come out, I am optimistic for a good Minnesota year for my local expectations (my local expectations are to be able to get in good dog work - flushing a few hens in each field, and have the opportunity to shoot a Rooster in most fields).
View attachment 9435

Last edited:
Like TBear our group went out Saturday and Sunday in SW MN, we ended up with 6 on Saturday for 4 of us, we should have had our 8. Sunday we only hunted till noon and we shot 2 that day. Plenty of hunters out and the weather was fun in my opinion. Looking forward to late season!!

Do you think there's going to be more people out hunting this weekend than last? The weather will be a lot warmer.

Do you think there's going to be more people out hunting this weekend than last? The weather will be a lot warmer.

Just to add more from Flush em; MEA is a annual teacher conference thats held the sametime every year, so kiddos get thursday friday off. Let us know how many hunters you see this weekend if you make it out. I'll be in the grouse woods prepping for the deer season

I think ya'll will be pleasantly surprised in about a month or longer at how many birds there are. The crop harvest is really really behind according to the USDA report. I'm guessing Thanksgiving may be when a decent portion of it is down. I did not go out in that hurricane; I'm definitely more of a second half season hunter.

Remember that if hunting or in the woods or fields this weekend, you will need to wear deer-hunting approved blaze orange because the entire state is open to deer firearm hunting for the youth. Your traditional upland vest is not good enough. At least 50% of the area above your waist and an orange hat will be needed.

In my local area, yesterday- Thursday of MEA, was the most hunters I can ever recall seeing out aside from opening morning. Every single access point of every single piece of public land had a vehicle in it. And a few hours later a different vehicle in it. I am pretty optimistic that this will be a good season once the crops come out, and most of the hunters will have given up by that point.

With the nice weather expected this weekend I have a feeling it is going to be very busy out there. I'll still go my usual Sunday afternoon when everyone is already heading back home.

Was out Thursday in core area and there were only 3 other parties total seen that day. Surprising in that the weather was near perfect (except wind picked up as day went on) and kids out of school.

All other groups seen in areas that the DNR marked fair or better. Areas marked poor or very poor on the map had ZERO hunter activity that we saw.

Roads washed out and lots of empty fields or cover crops planted.

Almost nothing harvested other than a few silage strips. Beans and corn standing everywhere. Corn is still partially green in this area, it will be some time. (Corn in another area hunted earlier in the week is all golden). Every bird we saw while not hunting was either running into or flying into the corn.

Cover on the WMAs and WIAs this year is much taller and thicker than past years. These plants have responded to all that rain.

Wind power generation sucks.

Small town cafe chatter was no birds seen all summer or early fall. We did fine picking up a bird here and there. I would say significantly less birds than last year (but all the standing crops make that observation suspect).

Last edited:
Went out today and had a productive hunt. Flushed 5 roosters and 4 hens. Only 2 roosters cooperated on the direction of the flush due to the thick cover and I only hit one. Between opening weekend and today I've logged 12 miles. So far this season it calculates to 1.3 pheasants flushed per mile walk. (0.6 roosters per mile).

Late report for our group on opener. Yes is was very windy and snowing but it made it an opener that won't be forgotten. Saturday our group of four logged eight miles. I lost track of the birds we jumped but I'd guess 50. Yes 50. We ended the day with six birds/should have had 10. I know we couldn't shoot ten but we should have had our limit. One of our guys was only there for the day so the three of us headed out Sunday morning. I thought the weather was marginally better. Another 4 miles yielded around 20 birds and three in hand. All us tired and a little out of shape we headed home around 1pm. Thrilled to see that many birds but we'll leave that spot along until December. Heading out next Saturday to try our spots in another town. BTW a kid I work with was in the same area with his family and one dog. They brought home 10. So I'd say the birds are out there

Went out this weekend. Saturday a buddy and I got our 4. 2 in the morning took a break had lunch hunted the last hour and got out other 2.

Hunted one spot this morning got 3. Had to be on the road by 11. Farmers are going hard at the crops.

Went out yesterday to my usual area. Tried to hunt all new ground this time. Ended up seeing 1 hen and a rooster, got the rooster. That was all for the day, hunted from about 11:00 to 4:00 so not exactly prime times.

Went out yesterday to my usual area. Tried to hunt all new ground this time. Ended up seeing 1 hen and a rooster, got the rooster. That was all for the day, hunted from about 11:00 to 4:00 so not exactly prime times.

For the Hunting the worst time of day I would say you won.

Three man two dog hunt Saturday and half day Sunday. Core Pheasant Range. Shot our six by 4:30 on Saturday, shot three on half day Sunday. 6 of the 9 off public land. Grounds were less flooded and soggy than I expected, didnt need the waterproofs I packed. Many birds spotted while driving, and farmers were mowing down the beans, corn not so much yet. Beautiful weather wise.

Back