Opener Countdown

Maybe crops up wet fields and bad weather will keep some people home. I would be ok with that.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people will be staying home for this opener. Could make it a good one for those that choose to go. I'm going regardless.

I think a lot of people will be staying home for this opener. Could make it a good one for those that choose to go. I'm going regardless.

yup, 2 out of 4 guys in our group are starting to back out; the wind will suck but opening weekend+first snow should be make some a great time

So I understand the dealing with the crowds argument but not the crops not being out one. At 52 years old seeing a ton of birds because the crops aren't out it not important to me anymore. For me it's a weight off my shoulders to be away from the rat race hanging out with friends and my dogs. You only get so many openers in a lifetime.

Was just talking about the same thing last night. You also only get so many days afield with a dog. I have an 11 year old that is starting to remind me of that. 🍻

So I understand the dealing with the crowds argument but not the crops not being out one. At 52 years old seeing a ton of birds because the crops aren't out it not important to me anymore. For me it's a weight off my shoulders to be away from the rat race hanging out with friends and my dogs. You only get so many openers in a lifetime.

Getting away from the rat race on opener ? I suppose maybe this year.

Just wondering how it went for everyone today?

I feel like I just gotta tell someone, it was the best opener as far as birds flushed per hour, I’ve had in many years. Family farm in Goodhue county. Shot 2 roosters in 45 minutes of hunting around 5 pm with my 3yo lab. Habitat is set-aside acreage next to corn/beans. The birds were in there, set-aside acreage is mostly prairie grasses, some scattered, thin dogwood bush and water seepages. Windy, sleet and some hail. 9 hens, 2 other roosters seen. Interesting was a covey(4) of pheasants so young they barely made it off the ground. If they were 3 weeks old I’d be surprised. 7 deer.
I had to work most of the day traveling home from work and decided to go sorta last minute, not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. Hope it’s a sign of a good season.

Saturday was good to us. Our 10 person group got 17 on public land. The snow really helped us. Saw plenty of birds can’t wait for the crops to come down.

We saw 5 birds on public. 2 being roosters. Held very tight. What part of the states were you in TBear. Sounds like you huys had a good shoot

Went out Sunday afternoon, more hunters than I expected. First spot yeilded nothing second spot produced 5 roosters 1 hen....missed 4 of the roosters, need to go get some practice in before this weekend. Overall, it was probably one of the best days I have had. I think my dog finally had her moment where the light bulb came on. Just a bummer I couldn't connect. Should be a great season.

Went out with a buddy opening morning to try spots we'd never been to in southern MN. First two spots had cars there. Ended up trying 4 public spots and 1 private spot in a 9 hour hunting day. Ended up with 1 shot at a rooster and 1 hen flushed all day. Both the birds were from the same ditch in the late afternoon. This is my 3rd year and no pheasants in the bag yet. Can't wait to get back out there though!

I was only able to get out Sunday afternoon because of commitments but I saw around 20 birds in 3 hours. One I thought as a hen at first but as it flew away I think it was a really young rooster. I saw a couple of really nice roosters after that. Knocked down one of the 4 I saw. Lots of hens. Fun to get the dogs out. I did see a guy road hunting. I have never seen that in MN as it's not legal. I had heard the shots when I was walking some CRP and wondered where they were coming from. I saw him getting back to his truck along the road along a corn field as I headed home. Either he doesn't know the rules or just doesn't care. Excited for the season. It's going to be awhile before the crops are out.

we were in the ortonville area--all public; 4 guys, saw 1 rooster flush wild opening drive and a handful of hens; walked some trees and other fields with no roosters. went in for lunch and switched to dry clothes and went out for the last few hours; saw alot of hens, lost 1 rooster in some cattails. so saturday was a bust for us

sunday morning was alot better, seemed like the birds stuck around the grass more vs the corn, 3 guys, ended up with 5 should have had our 6th, plenty of chances. good numbers of hens and or young rooties we couldnt make out...

could not believe the water and field conditions though, it will be interesting how if and or when the harvest will progress

if you're a duck guy, get out and scout and find the mallards going into some corn, you'll get some good shooting in. we setup friday morning for ducks, some ringers and redheads were around too, alot flying around!

Last edited:
I was only able to get out Sunday afternoon because of commitments but I saw around 20 birds in 3 hours. One I thought as a hen at first but as it flew away I think it was a really young rooster. I saw a couple of really nice roosters after that. Knocked down one of the 4 I saw. Lots of hens. Fun to get the dogs out. I did see a guy road hunting. I have never seen that in MN as it's not legal. I had heard the shots when I was walking some CRP and wondered where they were coming from. I saw him getting back to his truck along the road along a corn field as I headed home. Either he doesn't know the rules or just doesn't care. Excited for the season. It's going to be awhile before the crops are out.

nice to hear!

i believe some areas are legal, like county and state roads, but township roads (like most in farm country) depends on their local laws--overall a gray area and not worth the hassle IMO for MN

This was my first Minnesota opener as I am a new resident.

Hunted both Saturday and Sunday on public land. 21 flushes. 5 were roosters. 4 were shot at and bagged.

Had a wonderful time. Was pleasantly surprised at the uncrowded conditions and presence of birds (compared to Michigan).

2 of the roosters were very young birds.

Last edited:
Back