One Week Till Pheasant Opener

NewmanCA

Looking forward to season opener. Will be going solo on the opener. No one I know could make it down to Central CA for the season opener.

Good luck buddy! I'll be hunting locally (Bay area) in the morning as my wife decided she wanted to see Garth Brooks Saturday night! It's going to be an eventful day hopefully. Me and the dog are looking forward to it.

I'm sitting this one out. I might take an overnight trip to the Winchester Mystery House with the family that weekend. If that doesn't transpire, I'll trek down to Stockton for a trap shoot.

I've got little enthusiasm for hunting with conditions the way they are. It might be different if I hadn't gone to Montana last month.

I'll start going out to the Corning club the week after that, and that'll have to suffice for this year. I'm hoping the outlook will be somewhat brighter a year from today. It certainly can't be worse, can it?

Good luck buddy! I'll be hunting locally (Bay area) in the morning as my wife decided she wanted to see Garth Brooks Saturday night! It's going to be an eventful day hopefully. Me and the dog are looking forward to it.

Where do you hunt in the Bay Area?

I'm excited too. When I get back to town I'll message you and maybe we can meet up the following weekend to walk some fields.:cheers:

I'll pass on the opener as I usually do because I don't like seeing others in the coverts I hunt. Fortunately, many if not most hunters in the area think there are no birds left after opening weekend of both doves or pheasant which leaves the remainder of the season and enough birds to keep me and my springers quite happy.

Instead, I'll be setting up our tailgate and grilling steaks in advance of our Aztecs meeting the Cowboys and keeping alive their winning streak in conference play as they head for the Mountain West Conference Championship and sixth straight bowl game. Go Aztecs!

Have to keep the dogs primed so we went out quail hunting today. My brother and I were pleasantly surprised by the numbers, we moved two covies of 30 or so, one of about 50, and one with 80. The last covey was an estimation because we saw 40 or so go into the biggest berry/ rose thicket presumably on earth (30-50yds wide and a 1/4 mi long) and when the dogs went in we heard an endless flush that lasted minutes, of course those birds never need to leave their thicket so they were only heard and not see. We ended up with 15 birds including a nice brace I doubled on.

We are getting good storms coming through. The ground might actually be wet this year which would be the first time in three years where it has been bone dry for the opener

It's supposed to rain through Tuesday. That only gives 3 days for the gumbo to dry out enough so you won't have 3 pounds of the stuff stuck to each boot. Hope the wind blows between now and Sat. to help the drying process or you'll have calfs like cantaloupes like the smugglers do.:)

It's supposed to rain through Tuesday. That only gives 3 days for the gumbo to dry out enough so you won't have 3 pounds of the stuff stuck to each boot. Hope the wind blows between now and Sat. to help the drying process or you'll have calfs like cantaloupes like the smugglers do.:)

Where I hunt it doesn't stick bad. Been out there when there is standing water. One good thing is the pheasants tend to stick a bit tighter rather than run a mile ahead

Where that is where you can hunt before 8 AM.

Not to my knowledge, Jefferson has not succeeded yet and shoot time is still 8 (for pheasants anyways).

Tough morning, skunked so far.

Back