One to Remember !

FLDBRED

Gentleman I've been upland hunting for decades with great hunts and memories , but what happened the other day will surely stay with me . We've been hunting in Pa. since the opener with good success and decided we would take a trip across the state to one of our favorite areas that still has wild birds. It was very windy and the area had some recent flash floods, it was a mess. Every field had a few inches of water in it and the wind was getting worse . I was getting ready to call it a day when Chipper my springer got on hot scent, the wild bird tried every trick in the book but Chipper was able to flush him. I made the shot and figured after the bird was in hand we would head back to the truck, the wind was at 40 MPH with even more gusts! Chip rushed to the bird, no retrieve, no bird ! My son , I , and Chip started looking for the downed bird . After a few minutes my son said dad where's Chip. With this wind I knew this was not good . After 15 minutes of calling still no Chip.....we are 3 1/2 hours from home !! My son then hears a VERY distant bark. I told him to go to it . He found Chip 1/4 mile a way WITH THE PHEASANT no exaggeration honestly 1/4 or more . He must of heard our calls and barked so we could locate him .

That had to be a good feeling of relief when you heard him backing for you (with a little icing on the cake having the bird too).

A few years back I bumped into another UPH member out in the field. He told me how his dog went on point in a large cattail slough. He had no idea where his dog was on point. I believe he said his dog was on point for an hour or maybe it was a couple hours (I can't remember exactly). To add to his stress the sun was starting to set and dark was approaching. Finally he heard a rooster cackling as it flushed in the distance. At that point his dog came back to his call/yells.

"That had to be a good feeling of relief when you heard him backing for you (with a little icing on the cake having the bird too). "

Yes it certainly was a good feeling hearing him . We weren't sure why he was barking and that he could track the bird in those conditions was impressive and to let us know where he was, well I won't soon forget it!

Back