One Hell of a Last Chukar Trip

Drew

I went out on what might be the last trip of the year and it turned out to be the best of the year. We really got lucky, the dogs did their jobs and some timely shooting. My quads are killing me today but wow.

I did have a first for me. We all met up and transferred gear into another truck (not mine). So I managed to leave my vest and shells behind. I borrowed a dozen shells from my friends and figured that I could fit a limit of chukar in by hoodie pocket. I limited out (5) with 3 shells to spare but found out that a hoodie pocket can only fit 3 chukar so I held a chukar in between my fingers while I shot my last bird. My dog did a fantastic job both pointing and retrieving. I shot one chukar that due to elevation difference landed 200 yards below me. She went down and hunted it down and brought it back. All together I’ll bet she saved me 1000 yards of hiking.

Attachments

• Attach0.jpeg
    Attach0.jpeg
    779.2 KB · Views: 45
what a great hunt and dog work. mind revealing what state that was?

You can put birds under your belt and cinch it down tight.You get blood on your pants but it works. I've done it with ducks and pheasants.

That would have worked for sure. I will use that if something like this happens again.

Yes it is! I can only manage one trip per week because my body just doesn't recover like it did once upon a time. My legs feel like jelly for at least 4 days after a Chukar outing. The chase is pretty addicting though and I truly love seeing my dog work these birds. Not to mention, they are delicious!!

Drew

Back