One day IL outing.........need recommendation

jefft

I will be visiting family near Bloomington over Christmas. I would really like to introduce my 2 brother-in-laws to pheasant hunting. Both have fired guns before, but never did any upland game hunting. I am a retired avid hunter in central Wisconsin and have a pointing lab.
I'm looking for recommendations to take them out to a "close-by" game farm or preserve, right around Xmas. I know it will cost some $$ because I am not a member, but the first place I called wants to charge $600 for a 1/2 day hunt and min 5 birds each, this comes to about $40/bird. I was expecting to pay upwards of $30/bird as a non-member............plus both these guys are beginners just trying to get introduced to sport.
We would be willing to drive an hour away from Bloomington. Any advice?

There is a controlled pheasant area at Moraine View State Park just 15 or so minutes east of Bloomington. The cost for out of state persons is 35 for 2 birds but you have to get on line at the DNR website under controlled pheasant hunting and register for the day you want. They are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays and Christmas day. This is your best option around Bloomington.

If you are willing to drive a little further I would recommend Minnesota Heartland Preserve by Granite Falls.

There is a controlled pheasant area at Moraine View State Park just 15 or so minutes east of Bloomington. The cost for out of state persons is 35 for 2 birds but you have to get on line at the DNR website under controlled pheasant hunting and register for the day you want. They are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays and Christmas day. This is your best option around Bloomington.
Thanks for the recommendation. I can try calling the IL DNR on Monday to see if the date is available. What I couldn't get from the site, was are these released birds or is it just shooting wild birds or previously planted birds. Was also hoping to get these new guys (IL residents the chance to shoot 5 stand or trap prior to hunt to get them ready for shooting birds which I don't think would be available here). Sounds like a very inexpensive way to put up some birds, but it is a lottery that took place in August and concern would be it's all booked, which is why I was thinking originally about a hunt club. Anyway, I can try and glean some more information tomorrow after a call to the DNR hot line for questions about controlled hunt........thanks.

Appreciate your recommendation for Heartland Preserve, but this is over 9 hours away and not realistic for a 4 hour hunt while on a visit to family during Xmas!

Appreciate your recommendation for Heartland Preserve, but this is over 9 hours away and not realistic for a 4 hour hunt while on a visit to family during Xmas!
My bad. When I saw your post and you were talking about Bloomington I automatically thought you were referring to Bloomington, MN. I didn't look to see that you had posted it in the Illinois forum.

Thanks for the recommendation. I can try calling the IL DNR on Monday to see if the date is available. What I couldn't get from the site, was are these released birds or is it just shooting wild birds or previously planted birds. Was also hoping to get these new guys (IL residents the chance to shoot 5 stand or trap prior to hunt to get them ready for shooting birds which I don't think would be available here). Sounds like a very inexpensive way to put up some birds, but it is a lottery that took place in August and concern would be it's all booked, which is why I was thinking originally about a hunt club. Anyway, I can try and glean some more information tomorrow after a call to the DNR hot line for questions about controlled hunt........thanks.
The birds are pen raised roosters and hen you can shoot either. I was just there today. You don't need to call the DNR just go to their website and find the controlled pheasant page and bring up the hunt area and it will show a calendar for the site and how many permits are already issued. All of the permits are now done online and calling them in person will most likely have them tell you to go to the website for purchase of the dates you are looking for.

Green Acres:​

Introductory Hunt Package​

• Guided Pheasant or Partridge Hunt
  • 20 bird Release
  • Up to 4 hunters
Total Package $675.00 Connect with us: 217-395-2588

Back