On our way to disaster?

quail hound

Look around, the mountains aren't white and the reservoirs are dry. If we don't get some moisture soon we are going to be in bad shape. The farmers cry for water deliveries but keep replacing row crops with permanent crops and are breaking new ground every year.:confused: Groundwater overdraft gets worse every year leading to land subsidence at an alarming rate especially in the westlands district but its California's job to feed the world (and get them drunk) right? Look at those mountains fellas, they aren't making any more water now than they did before the CVP but demand just keeps rising at our beautiful states expense. I hope it doesn't happen but much more of this drought and the dust bowl will pale in comparison to what we will see.:(

Wish I could send you some (snow)
Not even the first of the year and we already have 3 feet of the heavy stuff. :(
Snows everyday, literally. Another snow and Winter storm watch going on today.
All this water up here forms the Mississippi then off to the Gulf of Mexico.

Its a sad sight out here Wayne. There are at least 5 peaks that I can see from my front porch that should be completely snow capped by now that only have patches of white and the ski resorts should be riding 3ft of base but are making snow just to stay open. Two of the 3 reservoirs near me are at 6% capacity and the other about 25%. The snow by now should have mountain quail down around 4000ft but I imagine they are still on their summer grounds in the high country and no storms in sight.:(

Wish I could send you some (snow)
Not even the first of the year and we already have 3 feet of the heavy stuff. :(
Snows everyday, literally. Another snow and Winter storm watch going on today.
All this water up here forms the Mississippi then off to the Gulf of Mexico.

Yeah, this is winding up to be a nasty/cold winter thus far:eek:

Rob, sorry to hear things are so dry other that way. Hopefully things turn around for you in the next month or so!

Nick

Well the old farmers almanac is calling for a very wet January. I sure hope its right.

I don't see any precip. in the long range forecast for Jan. Folsom reservoir is headed for a record low. The good news is that when the reservoirs was even lower than this in 1996 we caught some huge catfish out of it. The bad news is that it will be lower than that level sometime in the next week.
I hope the folks in SoCal get all the pipe fittings ready to hook up their toilets to their kitchen faucets because it's shaping up to be that's where they'll get their water in the very near future.

Back