Old days in Iowa

Thank you for your post. I enjoyed watching it. It brought back memories of my Central Iowa childhood hunts with my Father for pheasants and ducks in the Soil Bank years of the early 1960's. He told me of his own boyhood hunts for pheasants after they first took hold in Central Iowa...UNBELIEVABLE!

I remember first hunting Iowa around 1982. Not quite as far back as the video depicts, but back then even in the early 80's to mid 90's possibly, Iowa was king when it came to Ringneck harvest.

Did a lot of my hunting in the Greenfield area as I had a friend that farmed there, but also hunted Audubon, Carrol and all the way up to Spririt Lake area. Always had lots of birds and no problems getting our limits.

Not sure that Iowa ever was king for harvest numbers but was definitely a top 3 state I'd say. I remember when it was a destination for phez hunters. Guys looked forward to heading to Iowa for the opener from Kansas.

Not sure that Iowa ever was king for harvest numbers but was definitely a top 3 state I'd say. I remember when it was a destination for phez hunters. Guys looked forward to heading to Iowa for the opener from Kansas.

I think they were tops for a period pre CRP era ala '85 farm bill. Roughly a Million and a half per year for a portion of the late 70's thru early 80's before it took a downturn, then a resurgence in the 90's before another drop off that lasted. I remember reading the articles about Iowa topping SoDAk in few of those years. The hunting was certainly good as I remember from my experiences thru the early 90's.

Just found this link. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...atweknow.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2MUEP_JSFutzS4oegvUF-MView attachment 7932

Last edited:
View attachment 7933

Going by the two graphs it does appear that Iowa had a slight advantage in the late 70's to early 80's and then again in the mid 90's. From there SoDak continuously got better and peaked around 2007, whereas Iowa started to decline.

Last edited:
Oh yeah it was good alright. Back then I think there were a lot more non residents hunting Iowa, due to the higher bird counts put out by the game and fish. That in part increases your harvest numbers.

I've always wanted to hunt Iowa. But with bird numbers so low I think I'll leave them for the residents lol.

Back