Ohio's WPA

FLDBRED

While we were pursuing wild ringnecks in SW Pa., we met up with an Ohio hunter who was doing the same. He knew the owner of one of the farms we were hunting, so at lunch break we started a friendly conversation. The subject came up of wild pheasants in Ohio. He told us about farms that were being bought up by the State and managed for wildlife with pheasants a priority. Have any of you guys hunted these WPA's ? He said they were farms in the agricultural areas .

I have not heard about this and would be very surprised for this to be true. Lot so agriculture area land is 8-11k per acre so a million dollars only gets you an 80-100 acres. As we know even a couple hundred acres without other neighbors managing isn’t going to be too successful for birds to make a come back. Think there could be much better ways to spend that million then in land ownership IMO. I’ll do some asking though as I have s good friend that is a wildlife officer so he should know if something like that is happening.

Thanks Matt, I believe he said they were in Madison, Fayette and Pickaway Counties!

My source said “not that he had heard about”. Not saying that’s gospel but he should know and just doesn’t seem to make sense economically to me.

Matt,
Ask your friend if he knows a Wildlife Life Biologist named Mark Wiley!

You can PM me if you think that would be more appropriate .

Yea... with land prices being what they are it wouldn't make sense, probably wishful thinking on his part!

Back