Oh that feeling...

Ft. Morgan

Thanks guys, had the pup out today for some reinforcement on the whoa command. Getting that feeling in my bones.

I hunted out east twice last season... The going was rough! Found a few hens that flushed way out and that was about it!

Hail damage?

Hey, All -

New here, looks like a knowledgeable bunch. Wondering if anyone has intel as to how yesterday's hail impacted things out east? Heard it was pretty bad up around Akron - anybody have any info about whether it put a dent in this year's bumper crop of birds?

Thanks!!

There are areas that have been hit with bad hail I suppose its hard to say in those areas. The areas that havent been hit there are birds all over. Anyone want to make a scouting trip out here. Early am and late evenings.Get where there is irrigation even dryland this year close to irrigation . Hens and chicks all over. big broods too. Yesterday south of my house about 7:00 am counted 22 chicks in the road. Its gonna be a good year. Harvest is gonna be late though so that might hinder things a little. Cover here is great Havent seen it this good since Ive lived here. Yuma pioneer had an article about it. I would post it for ya but dont know how.

bird forecast

That sounds very promising, I was thinking of making a trip up there to find some doves and scout some of the walk-in areas for later this fall.

Game warden in the paper said the same as me. Brood sizes 8-12. Its very impressive. County hasnt mowed the ditches yet so its like driving down jungle roads in spots. Good luck with dove I need to get some scouting done. I seen some hot spots 2-3 weeks ago but it seems their pattern has changed again.

Ne co

If you need a partner this fall, I have a 13 mos. old GSP. When did that story run in the paper? I would like to read it.

goyuma.com

Thanks anyway, good to know the local forecast is promising. I was in the Pueblo area last year and we had a very tough season. Lots of walking for not many birds. We did have a good trip over to KS in Jan and plan on doing that again this winter.

I like both if they are around. I have a few quail I have been working my dog with and she seems to like them too. She did pretty good on the few scaled quail we found last year. The scalies run like mad and can give a dog fits.

Thanks, Gents. Does sound promising! The intel is much appreciated. I'll need to get out there for a look-see in the next few weeks.

That sounds very promising, I was thinking of making a trip up there to find some doves and scout some of the walk-in areas for later this fall.

What's your method "scouting" walk-in areas? Drive-by? I thought access was allowed only during the season... Let me know if you know something different, I've got a couple in mind I would love to have close look at before the season opens. Thanks!

Back