October 16- today.... reports?

Our group of 3 guys and 4 labs did very well opening morning hunting a piece of CREP, we had our 3 man limit in 45 mins and that was with a couple easy misses. Sunday was a mixed day, walked 1 field in the morning shooting 2 birds, another was shot that morning in a different field. we all split up as one guy had to leave early to head home, I went to another piece of CREP that was great last year but was 75% hayed this year and the other guy made the long drive to some other ground we used to hunt in the northern part of the state. I would say birds seem about the same as last year maybe down a little. The amount of habitat loss this year to haying is astonishing!! Most if not all CREP and WIA are hayed at least 50% some more. I will say in the area we were in the only thing we are optimistic about his the fact that only 75% of the beans are out and maybe 20% of the corn so the birds had plenty or areas to be other than the CRP. I am heading back out for my 5 day trip in the middle of November and we will see what that brings. We did see a decent amount of hunters, not a ton but enough to make getting to your spot early a important decision in the morning. We did also run across a group out of Oklahoma that had 5 trucks, 2 guys in each truck and 1 dog for the entire group. I felt bad for that dog. They stated they hadn't seen anything yet on opening morning as we were already back having a coke and snickers at the truck with our limit. Best of luck to all you guys I think the season will get a little better as more crops come out but the haying is going to have a huge impact on the season and this winter.

Back