NW gamelands?

tript2009

Hello all!

I'm looking at making a trip up to hunt some of the game lands near Erie, PA for a couple days for the Dec 14-28 part of the season. I will be bringing my 2.5 year old chocolate lab, and will be going up Sunday night, hunting Monday and Tuesday, heading back to Ohio late Tuesday. My questions are as follows:

1) is it worth the two hour drive to hit some of these areas? I know PA is great when it comes to keeping pheasant numbers up, and there seems to be quite a bit of land in the area to try and hunt, but I'm worried about getting up there and it being a waste of time.

2) would you recommend sticking to just the game lands in this area, or would you try some of the adjoining private land open to hunters as well? This is a tactic new to me, as land owners adjoining public lands in Ohio seem to be the one creating fuss about hunters during the pheasant season.

3) if you were hunting game lands within 45 minutes of Erie, where would you go and why?

And last but not least, the most important question of this post:

4) Anyone on here from this area that wouldn't mind showing an "out of towner" around? i would be coming up just me and my dog, and we all know hunting with others seems to make the time more enjoyable.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
I am up at pheasant camp for the deer season now with limited internet access so when I get back I may be able to point you in the right direction!

I was going to suggest a game lands but after rereading your post I realize that it's a little further than where your traveling. This time of year hunting is going to be tough because the birds are spread out and this is when you need a knowledge of the area to find the places the birds are pushed to. With that being said I would stick to the game lands. If you have the proper expectations I think the trip would be worth it. I am not familiar with the area so I don't know the hotspots. Are you planning the trip specifically for pheasants?

We've been around most of the State chasing Ringncks, unfortunately it's been many years since I have been to that neck of the woods and I'm sure things are much different now.
I do believe the local Pheasant Forever Chapters have done some habitat work on public land there. It might be worth your while to contact one of them.

As far as it being worth it...well if your soul purpose was to bag a pheasant or two this time of year on a SGL without you knowing the land lay out you stand a good chance of being disappointed. It's tough this time of year for even the local boys.

Having said that, we recently lost our loved four legged friend and what I wouldn't give to have another hunt with him. A two hour drive would be a joy if it could happen, tomorrow is promised to know one. It really wouldn't matter if we bagged a bird or not.

Good luck if you decide to go and enjoy it!

I was going to suggest a game lands but after rereading your post I realize that it's a little further than where your traveling. This time of year hunting is going to be tough because the birds are spread out and this is when you need a knowledge of the area to find the places the birds are pushed to. With that being said I would stick to the game lands. If you have the proper expectations I think the trip would be worth it. I am not familiar with the area so I don't know the hotspots. Are you planning the trip specifically for pheasants?

I have honestly never hunted any other birds except morning dove. Seeing as the grouse/quail numbers in Ohio are almost nonexistent, I'm not sure the dog would even pick up the scent, and if she did, I'm not sure if she would act "birdy" for me to tell. I realize going into this that the birds are going to be very few and far between. Just looking for a fun trip with the dog, where we would both enjoy the experience.

Go for it, just have realistic expectations and enjoy the precious time spent with your pup!

With the lack of snow and good amount of cover there should be some birds around. I'd look for areas that release allot of birds, any kind of food crops around and areas that border private land with good cover where you can get permission to hunt.

If your dog doesn't get much opportunity to flush birds it might be a good idea to spend some time at pay to hunt areas. Maybe buy some birds and release your own too.

Back