november hunt.

MAJTSHR06

Two years ago a group of us came out pheasant hunting the second week of nov. We hunted ducks and pheasant, not a shot at ducks or geese and only a few pheasant. We learned a lot, much different than pennsylvania hunting.We hunted public land around Aberdeen area. saw lots of birds on private land, which we had an even harder time finding the landowner to ask permission than finding birds. 95% of all waterfowl was on private land. Were going to give it a go this nov for a week this time, hoping to get a waterfowl tag again and hoping for better success. Talked to a DU rep and he suggested going west and north of mina lake which is where we are staying for waterfowl and south west for pheasants to escape some of the pressure. Looking for any suggestions from people that hunt this area. Not expecting to limit out but just get some decent shooting and maybe some access to better waterfowl hunting. If we have enough money which is a big if we may go guided one day but that would pretty much be the extent of it, the rest will be on public land. Their will be about ten of us going, Thanks in advance for any help.

I wish I could help. We hunt SW of Aberdeen. We hunt private land Exclusively and pay a hefty trespass fee to the farmer. I would never make the trip to SD to hunt public land exclusively. Birds are few and far between on public land especially in November. Sure, you'll scratch out a few, But for me it's just not worth the time, money and effort to drive all that way For such little shooting.
Although it is expensive, Our group limits out almost every day on private land.
We have not duck hunted but there are many many ducks around in the mornings. I wish you and your group good luck. If nothing else, I'm sure you'll have a great time, Just keep your bird and shooting expectations low.
Bob

Information

Hello Bob,

My intentions are not to pry but could you share a little more about your set-up? Does only your group hunt this farmers land or is it more of a cooperative set up? How did you initially make the arrangements with the farmer? Is it a bidding process or do you book a return visit each year? Do you choose the days you visit or are they chosen for you? Would you be willing to put a $$$ range on the word hefty?

I understand if you do not wish to elaborate. My son and I are considering such an arrangement. We wish to hunt together and do not want to be part of a larger group. Are you aware if two men can make such arrangements?

I never intended to become involved in the South Dakota experience but Iowa hunting is very poor and continuing downward. Our brood stock is suffering with a very very wet spring. That aforementioned brood stock was very limited to begin with. Scratching out a bird here and there over the course of a weekend trip has lost it appeal. Thanks Bob or anyone else who wishes to share about their arrangements.:)

Ken

Hi Ken,

Finding private land to hunt and paying a fee sometimes can be difficult. If you google "SD Pheasant Hunting" several sites will appear; there's several on this site as well.

In my experience, doing the necessary research is important; knocking on doors, asking questions at local bars, cafes and motels. Perhaps reviewing local papers, as some farmers use that method.

Last year I made several calls to outfitters; they can be very helpful even if you don't use their facility. Late in the season they may have an opening that fits your schedule.

There are probably other methods, but these seem to have worked for me the past 25 years.

david0311

Two years ago a group of us came out pheasant hunting the second week of nov. We hunted ducks and pheasant, not a shot at ducks or geese and only a few pheasant. We learned a lot, much different than pennsylvania hunting.We hunted public land around Aberdeen area. saw lots of birds on private land, which we had an even harder time finding the landowner to ask permission than finding birds. 95% of all waterfowl was on private land. Were going to give it a go this nov for a week this time, hoping to get a waterfowl tag again and hoping for better success. Talked to a DU rep and he suggested going west and north of mina lake which is where we are staying for waterfowl and south west for pheasants to escape some of the pressure. Looking for any suggestions from people that hunt this area. Not expecting to limit out but just get some decent shooting and maybe some access to better waterfowl hunting. If we have enough money which is a big if we may go guided one day but that would pretty much be the extent of it, the rest will be on public land. Their will be about ten of us going, Thanks in advance for any help.

Would suggest that you consider going farther west to the river and even beyond--getting away from the bigger towns will help you find better public hunting buy and large--also will help with getting on private land in my experience.

If you are considering paid private would contact Chris at U-Guide--

Good Luck--dc

Back