Not good Friday

25ott6

Thursday night headed over to see what was going on at the game lands and found a boy who never killed a bird before so Drake an I took him out with a hour to go and got him one. Then came home got stuff around for Friday I took off and was to meet someone to hunting with. Let Drake out to potty and when he came back in he dropped to the floor and would not take a treat or get up. So I called a vet they said give him a hour an see how he is so I did he got a little better. Friday am I got up and he was walking around like he was 80yrs old. So off to vet and tests came back positive for Lyme disease..got meds. He has to take with food now he won't eat. We're both a little bumed.

Sorry to hear that. Hope he recovers just fine and is back in the fields shortly.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I know how bad lyme disease can be as my dad got it last year. He lost 30 lbs that summer and has constant knee/hip pain. It was very difficult to see him that way...especially since he most likely got the tick when he came down to visit me when we went fly fishing in the mountains.

One thing you may want to consider, my vet recommended a flea/tick collar called Seresta. They last about 8months, 5 months if you dog does a lot of swimming. I have never found a flea or tick on my dog yet, and I live in an area with an over abundance of ticks. My vet swears by collar too.

I hope nothing but a speedy recovery for your pup. I know I don't personally know you, but you seem like an awesome guy after reading all your posts about helping other hunters (especially youth) with getting birds. Many hunters aren't nearly as generous.

Mike,

Sorry to hear about Drake. Every dog I've had for the last 20 years has contacted Lyme disease, some tested positive even though they had no syptoms. The Springer before Dugan got it real bad, and like Drake couldn't move and winched and wined with every step.He fully recovered, hunted till he was 13 and was with us till 15 1/2! Dugan has tested positive every year of his life, although he has never had any symptons. I finally broke down and listened to my vet and had him vacinated agaisnt it.

I know how you feel right now because I know how you feel about your buddy, we're of the same mold! Hoping Drake a speedy recovery, he's a big strong pup.!

Sorry to hear about Drake. I hope he has a speedy recovery and you can get back out when he's feeling better.

Thanks guy hoping things go ok. He stopped eating but is now eating taking his food and meds. and is getting back to normal.

Thursday night headed over to see what was going on at the game lands and found a boy who never killed a bird before so Drake an I took him out with a hour to go and got him one. Then came home got stuff around for Friday I took off and was to meet someone to hunting with. Let Drake out to potty and when he came back in he dropped to the floor and would not take a treat or get up. So I called a vet they said give him a hour an see how he is so I did he got a little better. Friday am I got up and he was walking around like he was 80yrs old. So off to vet and tests came back positive for Lyme disease..got meds. He has to take with food now he won't eat. We're both a little bumed.

I have a dual reg. champion bloodline American Pitbull Terrier that got lyme 3 years ago. Same signs, except she also had alergy like symptoms. Hair loss within the week before, dry cracking nose, etc. Im sure the vets gave you a 30 day cycle of antibiotics. Trust me, your dog will get better. Give her time and slowly work back up to hunting pace. My dog still has joint pain after a long run or hike.

Back