Not an Ideal Start to the Season

walk213

It was hard to post this video. Just an epic failure on my part. I will be better the next time out.

Observations (besides my crap shooting)

-Drought has impacted Eastern Colorado
-Farmers were forced to hay everything
-There are birds but they're hard to get at
-Josey is a reliable gun dog now
-Most hulls were recovered (settle down)

We have all been there with our shooting! Nice video, at least you have plenty of opportunities! Thanks for sharing.

We have all been there with our shooting! Nice video, at least you have plenty of opportunities! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate you watching that mess. I walked 26 miles in 2 full days. Areas that were once loaded with cover and birds, had sparse cover and less birds. Eastern Colorado needs water. A lot of it.

Last edited:
We've all had those days. They usually seem to occur when we aren't running in to piles of birds either. Thanks for sharing! I appreciate seeing folks real hunts versus the processed ones that edit out the mishaps. Keep 'em coming!

I agree with what Golden Hour says, we all have those days. Just nobody brings it up. I missed a rooster opening weekend SD, dog pointed so nice and I missed not once but three times, Uff da.

We've all had those days. They usually seem to occur when we aren't running in to piles of birds either. Thanks for sharing! I appreciate seeing folks real hunts versus the processed ones that edit out the mishaps. Keep 'em coming!
Appreciate you watching. Spot on. 26 miles of walking with just a few opportunities. The shotgun issues and my lack of confidence in the O/U got in my head. I only post the truth....no matter how much it hurts. Good luck this season.

Appreciate you watching. Spot on. 26 miles of walking with just a few opportunities. The shotgun issues and my lack of confidence in the O/U got in my head. I only post the truth....no matter how much it hurts. Good luck this season.
I was in western KS over the weekend. Didn't see many birds and they were wild, but I flat missed one that flushed within range. I hate missing, but I'd rather miss than hit one and not find it.

Agreed. The bird I hit in the back 1/3 looked like it was going down. Echo was in full sprint. When the bird crossed the CR, she held up. I was great with her decision....and I wanted that rooster.

Thanks for the report Walk. It mirrors what I heard from my buds the last two weekends. I was glad I joined a SD hunt over the CO opener. My 8 MO old lab pup Tucker had a great trip, retrieving about 30 birds. He can hunt his whole life in Eastern CO and not retrieve that many. S Dakota-Disney World for dogs.
Tom

Thanks for the report Walk. It mirrors what I heard from my buds the last two weekends. I was glad I joined a SD hunt over the CO opener. My 8 MO old lab pup Tucker had a great trip, retrieving about 30 birds. He can hunt his whole life in Eastern CO and not retrieve that many. S Dakota-Disney World for dogs.
Tom
Good for you guys, Tom. Sounds perfect. I went to Yuma today. 90% private. 5 hens, 5 roosters. 4 roosters busted at 80 yards. I watched Echo track another one in a corner. The cover is so thin, I watched him run! He busted out at 60 yards.

10.5 miles of walking. 450 miles of driving. Never shouldered my weapon.

Back