Northwest Corner

rugardave

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know anything about LeMars, Ia.? what's the land like and are there any birds out that way? A friends coworker has an uncle out there that farms. He may give us permission. What can we expect. For las 5 or 6 years we have been around Nevada, hunted another cousins' farm and been skunked every time on the opener for 3 or 4 days straight for 5 or 6 years. We have given up on that area and are looking else where.

Thanks for your input,
Dave

I would ask the farmer what type of cover he has. That would give you some good knowledge. Otherwise its probably like most of Iowa farms for pheasants, spotty at best if there's really good cover and no birds if marginal cover.

Lemars and north is typically better than he area you came from. There is a fair amount of public ground around the Iowa great lakes, tho some pressure.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know anything about LeMars, Ia.? what's the land like and are there any birds out that way? A friends coworker has an uncle out there that farms. He may give us permission. What can we expect. For las 5 or 6 years we have been around Nevada, hunted another cousins' farm and been skunked every time on the opener for 3 or 4 days straight for 5 or 6 years. We have given up on that area and are looking else where.

Thanks for your input,
Dave

I live in Sioux City which is about 20 miles south of Le Mars, Ia. I have hunted the Le Mars area a ton in the last 35 years, I even shot my first pheasant while walking the railroad tracks just outside of the town. Up till about 10 years ago the pheasant hunting was pretty darn good around there. Lately not so good.......... unless of course your farmer friend farms with the birds in mind and leaves nice cover and a few rows of crops standing. Wouldn't hurt if he had a creek running through his place either. Alot of the area around there is serious fence line to fence line farming. But there are still birds to be had with a few partridge to kick up as well. Goodluck when you go.

lemars

our group hunts the storm lake,fonda and newell area. all farmland, we usually do ok. unless all the corn is gone. just go out hunt and have a great time!

Back