North Dakota outlook

ND is down two years in a row, so when it appears just down 50% from 2008, closer to down 75% from 2007 in some areas.

That is significant.

It was my understanding that the last 2 years (07,08) were banner years. I know I saw more birds in the SW area of the state last fall than I had in quite a number of years. So yes, at first thought that would seem very significant.

My contact out there has told me that there was quite a winter kill, however the population was so high going into last Winter that the birds that made if through did ok. she reported seeing decent amounts of broods this summer. From past year reports from her, I am fairly confident that all is not lost. As far as other regions of the state I guess we'll know soon enough.

Last edited:
SW is a whole different world in ND, most is pay to hunt operations and very few free lance hunters. The other areas of the state have seen a drastic reduction in birds the last 2 years, especially the latest tough winter and wet spring.

ND outlook

Hello,

I just joined this forum, but, I can speak to this subject.

I have hunted NW ND for the last 3 years. Last year was great. We were usually limited by lunch. My friend where I hunt says that he is seeing plenty of birds, especially in protected areas, even though the winter was long and harsh.

So, we are going back again. I'd like to try SD. maybe next year.

Walt MI/USA

Deacon, no question the commercialization of Pheasant hunting in the SW area of the state has really taken precedence. However, you can still find decent hunting on the public (Plots) lands depending on where you base out of. A ways south of Mott there is quite number of plots lands ranging from small to very large. While these aren't going to hold the amount of birds as private acres, they still can be good hunting, especially as the season wears on. There is certainly enough of them to keep you busy on any given day.

All may not be lost for those who hunt SE ND. With the late corn harvest this year as is predicted, late season may be the silver lining in this down year.

Last edited:
Back