North Central Report

IOWA_Tallgrass

Looked at the calendar and the weather forecast and decided to pull the trigger on a quick trip yesterday (Friday 12/10) before all this blizzard warning/watch fun is supposed to blow in.

I made the drive up Thursday evening; spent the night to get an early start on Friday. I hunted all public, from the Minnesota border down to HWY-3

There was a little wet snow still around most places, with a foggy mist hanging around most of the day. Temperatures in the mid 30s were quite tolerable, with a light breeze; good scenting conditions for the pooch. I found my birds primarily in sloughs, drainages, and small WPA ponds in the thicker cattails and what I am sure I incorrectly call, "canary grass" (yellowy, moderately tall broad-leaf grass seen in damp spots out here). We hunted the thick stuff pretty hard and had a legitimate chance at a limit, but my shooting was way off yesterday. :eek: I missed 3 easy shots :mad: but ended up taking 1 home that's hanging in the garage for Sunday supper.:D

Lots of walking and brust brushing; definately down from 2008, but still much better than my home area by far. :thumbsup: The 8 hens my setter pointed were both a cause for optimism next year and a sign that we're in the latter part of the season. Did see quite a few hunters; fortunately there is enough public land in this area that I just drove to the next WPA/WMA that was not occupied. Guys doing the same things as me, trying to get a decent day in before it gets brutal out there.

Both dog and I were pretty beat by 3pm. With all the weather warnings and a lowering, thickening cloud deck; despite the still relatively mild conditions, we opted to not push our luck and headed home a little early.

I was pretty satisfied with the hunting. As long as I have had an honest chance at a limit in-state on public grounds, I have held back from traveling further out to SD or KS. :cheers:

Last edited:
What towns were you near? I am from that way and we usually see enough birds to limit out, we just don't want to take the chance without a dog on some of those longer flushes. Hopefully NC Iowa doesn't get the snow they are talking. I have some guys coming up from Illinois to hunt the last weekend of the season.

What towns were you near? I am from that way and we usually see enough birds to limit out, we just don't want to take the chance without a dog on some of those longer flushes. Hopefully NC Iowa doesn't get the snow they are talking. I have some guys coming up from Illinois to hunt the last weekend of the season.

VZW,

Take a look at the DNR's small game distribution map for this year; I basically hunted within, north of, and south of the "blob" shown on the map for the North Central part of the state. I won't be any more specific than that. All my birds flushed real close; seemed the soupy, foggy day had them on the roost more than other days.

Back