North Central Kansas Advice

Can deer hunters be an issue in Kansas? In MT and ND it is a total nonissue. If we meet they tell me where they have seen pheasants and I tell them where I've seen deer. In 30 plus years I have never had an issue, but I have never hunted Kansas during deer season.
It depends on where you go. This is desperation weekend for some since it's the last couple days - so if it moves it may die.

I've hunted the Pratt Sandhills years ago during deer season (I like to rifle hunt too - just not as much as bird hunt) -- anyways I was bird hunting at the time - we heard a lot of shots near the trees and my buddies stayed closer to the road hunting a shelter belt and heard a bullet whiz in the trees.

I got out in the middle and low and behold saw some of the biggest bucks -- but Sandhills bucks are damn smart - they'll post up in a plum thicket on the side of a hill with the wind - your dog or you spook them and all you get is a flick of a tail and them bounding over the hill never to be seen again.

My point is stay out in the open - Orange up and common courtesy -- if someone is there move on or give them space. I wouldnt hunt heavily treed spaces at all.

I would advise making sure you and your dogs have orange on and try to avoid the timbered areas. Other than that I hunt every year during rifle season and haven’t had any issues. Thinking of trying the nc area myself this weekend. Haven’t been there in a few years.

Have hunted KS a couple of times on opening day of deer season. No issues. We definitely try to avoid them if we see a truck parked where we want to hunt , mostly out of respect and not wanting to mess them up. We have had them stop and ask if they can set on the opposite side of a section while we hunt.

Our way of hunting PC in Kansas was to find were they were feeding and then come back around 3 or four in the afterjoon and use pass shooting to get them as they were going to feed. Never could get close enough to them with a dog to be in range.

Got back yesterday, drive there was rough down 80 and I ended up sleeping at a rest area to wait it out which put me behind schedule by 5 hours but any way in the 2.5 days I did get to hunt I found a few pheasants, mostly hens but one rooster did give me an opportunity but I made a poor shot and I couldn't recover the bird. I did come across some prairie chickens, which was a first for me. I wasn't expecting much from the trip but was pleased I actually found birds. I always hope to find quail but never saw any of those this time around. Sunday there was a ton of hunters and I spent half the day trying to get away from other groups. I had a good time nonetheless and each time I go a little more. I like to think I would have been more successful if I hadn't made stupid rookie mistakes.

Sounds likes it was a tough hunt. I have one more tripped planned this year. Not sure were to go at this point.

Sounds likes it was a tough hunt. I have one more tripped planned this year. Not sure were to go at this point.
I don't know if it was a "tough hunt" it was what I expected. This is my 3rd trip to KS and I'm learning more each time. The worst part of the trip was the drive there and back and on day 2 the flat tire that cut my day short.

I don't know if it was a "tough hunt" it was what I expected. This is my 3rd trip to KS and I'm learning more each time. The worst part of the trip was the drive there and back and on day 2 the flat tire that cut my day short.
When you come back I'm sure someone would be happy to show around. Going in cold can be tough for sure. Last week I hunted 3 days, farther west than I ever hunt and it was tough I managed 3 and a couple of quail and managed to ruin a tire , I can relate

Attachments

• 20201210_155951.jpg
    20201210_155951.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 25
When you come back I'm sure someone would be happy to show around. Going in cold can be tough for sure. Last week I hunted 3 days, farther west than I ever hunt and it was tough I managed 3 and a couple of quail and managed to ruin a tire , I can relate
Thanks for the offer, not sure when I will be back, if I don't get another dog for a while it may be a couple years, one old dog and one guy makes for long days. You did a good number on your tire. I caught mine early enough I was about 25 miles from town and I was able to get back to my hotel and get the spare on but I didn't trust my spare on the gravel and it was late enough in the day I just stayed in the hotel and got to a repair shop first thing Monday morning. I've trained myself to check my tire pressures on the dash every time I leave a spot.

Back