Non toxic choices

I've knocked down 12 birds so far this year...5 with Hevi shot out of a 16 gauge (#6)...and 7 out of a 12 gauge with #3 Hevi Metal...retrieved all 12 birds...no cripples to chase around, either...they were laying where they fell...now, my partner, who is a TERRIFIC competitive shooter, was shooting #3 steel, and lost 2 or 3 birds...he has good dogs, so do I...take from that what you will. Hevi metal is about a buck a shell...hevi shot is about $3-4 per shell...

about 15 years ago I was given about 70 rounds of 20 gauge Hevi shot...#6...I used it one trip...knocked down 20, retrieved 19...I was sold. I have stood in the field SO MANY times looking for a lost bird, shot with steel....I turn to my buddy, and say "I would pay 20 bucks to find this damn bird!"....therefore, $3 a shell for Hevi shot seems like a bargain! I bought 60 rounds for $150 about 2 years ago...16 gauge #6...glad I did!

I have gotten where I won't shoot anything but Hevi Shot. I am a believer in how effective is. I am also someone that literally got
sick to my stomach when I would cripple a bird. I know that it's a little more but to me it is worth it.

Shot my 28ga exclusively this weekend for our opener. 7/8oz of #6 bismuth, went 4 for 6 (our limit is two birds opening weekend). The two misses were clean and the four hits resulted in all birds dead on the ground.

Just brought some hevi shot # 5 duck load from Cabelas it was 45.00 per box for 20 gauge .I thought that was pretty expensive but figured I would try it.Did not realize that it was a box of 10.I won't be able to blame the ammo any more.

Hevishot does make a pheasant specific heavy metal load, comes in #4 and #5, 25 shells per box for $25, might be the better option if you're going to do a lot of shooting?

Hevishot does make a pheasant specific heavy metal load, comes in #4 and #5, 25 shells per box for $25, might be the better option if you're going to do a lot of shooting?

I have not tried that specific shell but might pick some up. I also have used the HeviShot Duck shells on pheasants.
They were beyond terrific.

In a 12 Ga. 1 1/8 ounces of #2 steel works fine. In my 16 Ga.'s, I have been using the 1 ounce load of #5 in Kent Bismuth or my hoarded supply of Tungsten Matrix. Seldom use my 20 Ga. in non-toxic hunts, but the 2 3/4" 1 ounce loads of #5 in TM or Bismuth have yet to disappoint me. I shoot several older, tightly choked 16 and 20 Ga.'s.

I guess a nice surprise is the 7/8 ounce load of #6 Bismuth in the 28 Ga...One shot, one STONE DEAD rooster, so far. I only wish Kent loaded it in #5 shot.

Seldom use my 20 Ga. in non-toxic hunts, but the 2 3/4" 1 ounce loads of #5 in TM or Bismuth have yet to disappoint me. I shoot several older, tightly choked 16 and 20 Ga.'s.

This is about as good of a recommendation of non-tox for 20 ga Bismuth as I've seen. Time to get some for my next hunt...

Back