NO

BRITTMAN

This November storm is targeting prime MN pheasant country. If the cattail sloughs fill with snow now ... they may never really freeze or have pockets of very weak ice.

good point. I'm only seeing 1-3 inches in the SW area that I target, which most will probably melt as soon as it hits the ground or over the next week. I'm not really seeing a span of days that it stays constantly under freezing. Most days are just getting below freezing as a low yes, but staying in the mid to high 40's as a high and enough to melt. However definitely something to monitor. Not sure about Marshall area and north into western MN.

Hope I am wrong on this one ... but this could be a worst case scenario ... pheasant killing machine. When the snow comes a little at a time or at least not as a blizzard from the get go, the birds have time to work their way into a winter pattern.

Right now the birds are scattered about and many (not all) will really be exposed. If they were already in their winter cover, the impact would probably be less...

We like to think pheasants are tougher against blizzards, but they really are not.

Last edited:
swsnow_zps1dxgh0cl.jpg

Welcome back FCS !

I have had this happen to places in both MN and ND ... snow piles into cattails early (some times in October) and then it gets nice out ... the snow in there is too thick and does not see enough sunlight (like snow in the woods) to melt much. Then it gets crusty and the birds love it ... not so much fun for dog and owner.

Snow in the grass has a good chance to melt if we can get back to 40s and sunny, but now it looks like the weather pattern is shifting and more average temps and some snow is in the forecast.

I think at least some of the birds are smart enough to make it. Mid-storm, at about 4:30 I say two roosters fly across the road and dip I to some thick willows as I was driving. They knew where to go. This morning I got out and there are still a lot of tracks since the snow... so they at least made it this far. Most of those tracks were along hedge rows loaded with spruce, cedar, and juniper.

Yeah the birds are fine, it is the getting at them that will be a bummer. They can go out on that thin ice where we can not. I am seeing plenty of birds. Here with the 60 mph wind, the fields blew off and filled in the ditch, grass, and cattails. Nothing will freeze with all that insulation for a long time. Spooky venture for man and dog on them cattail areas. Just have to be opportunistic I guess. But I won't be hunting wet areas at all the rest of the year. I fell in 3 times last year and with no snow lol. I am getting too old to fight that anymore. I will be headed back to the family farm area in IA to get away from snow a time or two. One thing for sure is if you tough it out now around here, you deserve, and earned every bird you get:thumbsup:.

Last edited:
Welcome back FCS !

I have had this happen to places in both MN and ND ... snow piles into cattails early (some times in October) and then it gets nice out ... the snow in there is too thick and does not see enough sunlight (like snow in the woods) to melt much. Then it gets crusty and the birds love it ... not so much fun for dog and owner.

Snow in the grass has a good chance to melt if we can get back to 40s and sunny, but now it looks like the weather pattern is shifting and more average temps and some snow is in the forecast.

You called it Brittman, looks like just enough snow in the cats to shield any kind of freezing.

Well, with the amount of rain we got last night, That snow took a beating. And good riddance, the hunting this weekend was terrible with the conditions of knee deep, breaking through, loud as a marching band walking around crud.

Please mother nature just make up your mind and freeze. :(

Man...WTH...this weather is nuts. Hope it did melt the snow, but I foresee wet boots this season...just like last season :-(

Well, with the amount of rain we got last night, That snow took a beating. And good riddance, the hunting this weekend was terrible with the conditions of knee deep, breaking through, loud as a marching band walking around crud.

Please mother nature just make up your mind and freeze. :(

LMAO, been there. Hows that mutt doing? The weather sucks, but I am jumping for joy. All this rain wiped out our snow. So it should be awesome in a couple weeks. Sounds like a deep freeze coming. So if the deep snow stays away, December is going to be a blast. Headed west this weekend for some fun.:thumbsup:

Welcome back FCS !

PS, thanks. I was bed ridden with Lymes for 2 months. Almost took a dirt nap. Made a will out for who gets my dogs LOL. Feels good just to be upright. Bad mojo that stuff.

LMAO, been there. Hows that mutt doing? The weather sucks, but I am jumping for joy. All this rain wiped out our snow. So it should be awesome in a couple weeks. Sounds like a deep freeze coming. So if the deep snow stays away, December is going to be a blast. Headed west this weekend for some fun.:thumbsup:

He is doing better every trip... now 3 years old he is getting the hang of this game pretty well. Yeah, hopefully ma nature plays nice from here on out. Good luck in the great prairies :cheers:

Today was the worst trip I have ever had out. I thought I would blast off to Canby area and south. Snow hit everything hard down there, and all the cover is flat. Cattails are a no go, and very dangerous. Water everywhere. Drove north all the way to Fergus, and the west is a mess. Water water water. Could not even find any nice road ditch to walk LOL. Never got a dog out of the car. I am going grouse hunting. :) I have never seen anything like this my entire life. Harvest has to be way down. So should mean good numbers again next year if winter holds out mild, and a good hatch.

My entire season in a nut-shell my worst season since I've had my hunting dog 5 season's now...

I did get out Tuesday moved 12+ birds over half in gun range but in islands of dry in waterlogged cattails no fun... Only rooster I know I seen was as I started my vehicle he flew over me gun unloaded total pants down moment all I could do was watch him...

Once this cold hit & we freeze up there should be some decint hunts if that ever happen is the thing...

Back