No Trespassing in ND?

parkerman

I have a question for those who live/hunt in ND that arose from a conversation with a guy who just returned from hunting in the NW area. He told me that unless ground is posted whether private or non-private, anyone can walk in and hunt. The only exception is if the land is actually posted. Is this true for the state? Seems alittle laxed to me compared to other states.

Just got back.

I have hunted ND the last 4 years. We just got back.

We have had hook ups in our area because we know several local people. All we had to do was ask.

You will often find a name and/or phone number on posted property signs. Just call and ask. With cell phones and good reception we were able to go on the internet and get a number. Most of the time we were allowed. Be polite and mannerly. Don't litter. Don't destroy property. Simple, common sense.

We had a wonderful time.

Walt MI/USA

I have a question for those who live/hunt in ND that arose from a conversation with a guy who just returned from hunting in the NW area. He told me that unless ground is posted whether private or non-private, anyone can walk in and hunt. The only exception is if the land is actually posted. Is this true for the state? Seems alittle laxed to me compared to other states.

Parkerman,

For the reputation of all sportsmen and women, please call first. I've only been to ND once, but they seem like very nice people. So long as the land isn't posted "property of Cannonball Outfitters" you have a reasonable chance of getting permission. FWIW, Even if the law says you can hunt property that isn't posted, I don't think it is ethically sound to go w/o making contact with the landowner.

Follow Walt's advice....

The exception to this would be unharvested crops. You cannot legally enter grounds without permission (whether posted or not), if there are unharvested crops in the field.

As was stated, it is always advisable to at least make an attempt to ask permission if you can locate the owner.

Another tid bit some may not know about Nodak is the Road-right-of-way law. Land owners have legal rights out to the middle of the road and if the adjacent land is posted, you cannot hunt from the road or ditch without permission as well.

Back