Next season/Off season...

GustavDaGSP

So this year i had the a chance to hunt with a fellow UPH "shorthairs4life" we got out a couple times with some success and got to watch are dogs work what I thought was vary good together :thumbsup:
Why dont more of us hunt together? I think we should do some kind of get together and we can all maybe do a hunt sometime next season make it an annual thing? Opinions please on this would be great!!

I think the hunting season is pretty busy. But I would be up to a game farm in the off season. With all the snow we may have to wait till March ar April.

So this year i had the a chance to hunt with a fellow UPH "shorthairs4life" we got out a couple times with some success and got to watch are dogs work what I thought was vary good together :thumbsup:
Why dont more of us hunt together? I think we should do some kind of get together and we can all maybe do a hunt sometime next season make it an annual thing? Opinions please on this would be great!!

This has been discussed before. Everyone agrees it's a good idea but then it never happens. I come over to MN to hunt a couple times a year so I would try to make it. FCSpringer and I have been trying to get together but it hasn't happened yet. I did hunt with cnggack once last year near Hendricks and this year I got into the field here in SD with fourtrax and Uncle Buck. It fun to finally meet some of the guys on this site. Let me know if you get something going in MN.

I suspect a lot of guys on this board have great dogs and would be better suited taking people who don't have a dog hunting. I like taking hunters who don't have dogs because they are really appreciative and my dog gets the work.

Niceshot- I know what u mean my buddy that i got into hunting a few season's ago has hunted with me alot over the past few years and loves my dogs! I was just thinking maybe some of us could meet and learn a thing or two for each other and sense im sure im one of the youngest on this site i could learn even more for some of the vets !

Get together

Im new to this forum,iv been reading it since early fall.And i enjoy the heck out of you guys and this site!!Seems to me you should find a centrally located Sporting clays range and have a fun shoot.The timing is better (not hunting season)and every one needs to shoot more or at least a reason to!Just a thought.

I got together with FCSpringer last year, but this fall was just too busy for me.

I think the main problem would be finding land and a central meeting point, but it does sound like fun!

Im new to this forum,iv been reading it since early fall.And i enjoy the heck out of you guys and this site!!Seems to me you should find a centrally located Sporting clays range and have a fun shoot.The timing is better (not hunting season)and every one needs to shoot more or at least a reason to!Just a thought.

A shoot is not a bad idea. the promblem it's hard to find a central location. I've been doing some calling and hope to put a couple ideas up soon. Glad to see a couple more interested.

Dave Welcome to the site glade you join in. Introduce yourself to all. Then we can learn alittle about you. (type of dog - gun - ect)

Intro

A shoot is not a bad idea. the promblem it's hard to find a central location. I've been doing some calling and hope to put a couple ideas up soon. Glad to see a couple more interested.

Dave Welcome to the site glade you join in. Introduce yourself to all. Then we can learn alittle about you. (type of dog - gun - ect)

Well i live in northern MN hence the name BACKUS. I own(with the bank) a gun shop,gas station and cafe up here.I love Doubles mainly 16ga and pointing dogs. I have 1 eng pointer and 2 wirehairs. I hunt some in MT alittle in ND and here. THANKS for asking

I put a post in the (events) form about a get together.

Well i live in northern MN hence the name BACKUS. I own(with the bank) a gun shop,gas station and cafe up here.I love Doubles mainly 16ga and pointing dogs. I have 1 eng pointer and 2 wirehairs. I hunt some in MT alittle in ND and here. THANKS for asking

Welcome. I've been at your place getting fuel a few times. Also Backus locker. I get beef processed there. Nice little town Backus. I'm SW of Park Rapids just on the North end of the Hubbard Prairie.

Been there

Welcome. I've been at your place getting fuel a few times. Also Backus locker. I get beef processed there. Nice little town Backus. I'm SW of Park Rapids just on the North end of the Hubbard Prairie.

Well we think its pretty nice too.Thanks for stopping!Yell at me next time your though. DAVE

Well we think its pretty nice too.Thanks for stopping!Yell at me next time your though. DAVE

Will do. Where abouts do you hunt and what, in Montana?

This has been discussed before. Everyone agrees it's a good idea but then it never happens. I come over to MN to hunt a couple times a year so I would try to make it. FCSpringer and I have been trying to get together but it hasn't happened yet. I did hunt with cnggack once last year near Hendricks and this year I got into the field here in SD with fourtrax and Uncle Buck. It fun to finally meet some of the guys on this site. Let me know if you get something going in MN.

Yea it's tough. I am a contractor so when your working these days your working, but the spur of the moment seems to be when I go. I'll get off at 2 or 3 some day and just go. Or thinking I am working one day and something happens when I get it off, then go sort of thing. So it is hard for me to plan a day too far ahead. More of a "want to go tomorrow?" kind of thing. But one thing we could do easier is have a training fun shoot day. All summer we train pretty much every weekend. I have pigeons and pheasants. Pigeons are only 4 bucks and pheasants are only 8-9 bucks. So that can be fun and basicly a controlled game farm hunt kind of thing. We simply take turns running the dogs in an area of the field near where we park. A training day fun day may be a cheap fun time for those that want to meet up, BS, and excersize the dogs. Great way to train, intro pups etc. All you need is the free training permit.

Welcome Dave, and I do have access to land here by Alex guys, if you guys want to think of a training weekend, it's a bit west but pretty central nth and south. You kids could send in the free permit and blast away. Or we could use a field farther east if someone has one, and I can hall the birds down. All we would need is the township, sec, range etc. for our permits. Then that permit is good through 2011. Just put the date down from present to 12-31-2011.:thumbsup: all I would need is how many birds each would want to buy. And yes you pay for them if you don't find them or miss, LOL we each plant our own. Someone runs a dog, useualy on 2-3 birds, and someone simply follows out with theres to plant back when one finishes to keep it flowing.

Last edited:
(Member events)under the Lounge

I like the idea of a shoot up by you also. That would be fun.

I found it. And posted. I am sorry to admidt I will not pay shooting preserve prices, when we buy the same birds for less then half. We can most likely get big strong hens for as low as 6 $ per bird some of the year too,always 8$ and they are nice sized for someone wanting to eat them too. They fly great. The roosters will always be around 9$ There is hotels as low as about 60$ and newly remodeled. One of those park in front of the door places. Thats if you want to train more then 1 day. We run 30 or more dogs per day offten starting around 11am. So starting earlier we could get allot of them in. When I run mine I will basicly run the dog and have two gunners, I don't shoot. So with the 4 thats 8-12 birds for some one else to blast at there. I think most people really enjoy training days, it's fun.

Back