Newbie Here

Eastofriver

Hello all,

New member posting here. I live just north of the Twin Cities. I have a cabin in No. MN between Grand Rapids and Bigfork. Needless to say I am in the middle of some of the best Partridge (Ruffed Grouse) hunting in the country
I have two Springers that keep me busy hunting both at the same time. I prefer to tag team them. They are seven now and in their prime.
Life is good up there!

Our son was recruited out of college by CHS (Northern Plains). He headed out to Ipswich SD for the interview all dressed up in a suit we bought for him. His interview went well for him and the manager told him to lose the suit and pick up some jeans and good boots. They sent him to Eureka SD with a sales job. He lived in a hole in the wall of a motel for a month. He found a home that he liked and picked that up. He rose through the ranks quickly and became the top sales man.
CHS (Northern Plains) promoted him to sales and office manager after a year.
His office was 300 yards from his home. After another year with Northern Plains he was put in charge of the Agronomy division based out of Gettysberg.
He has since picked up a home in town and bought a small farm with old buiding on it. He is in the process of tearing down some of the old buildings and old growth trees on the plot. BTW, married now and a young daughter.

We (my wife & I) have been fortunate enough to go out there quite a bit hunting and fishing. We really enjoyed the town of Eureka (good Pheasant hunting, terrific duck and goose hunting).
In Gettysberg it is all about Pheasant's! We have done very well on them. I have hunted solo with the dogs and had the opportunity to hunt with 8-12 people with blockers on the sides. The alone time hunting with my Springer's is most treasured. I love to go slow and enjoy every minute. I have enjoyed a couple 300 plus flush's over the years. The luncheon's and dinners are unreal put on by the farmers wives!! I love the Kuchens!

It is awful nice to come back from a hunt and just take a hot shower and sit down to a great meal all in the same place.

We hunt mostly private land (it pays to have a son that is in contact with farmers and ranchers). State land is pretty run over quickly there.
I have had the opportunity to hunt with many land owners in the area. They call my son to come out hunting and discuss business along the hunt.

We love our Grouse hunting here in No. MN, however the hunting in SD is top notch.
Don't get me started about the about the deer hunting. I can supply pics if someone likes

Between No. MN and SD it seems to be the best of both worlds. Life is good.

Sorry for the ramble without any heads or order.

Welcome to the site. Good group of guys here with a lot of knowledge.

Tough to beat hunting behind a couple of Springers. I also have a pair of them although one is on the back side of his hunting days at 12.5 years old and blind. Just glad I did get to hunt them both together a few times. Great memories.

The dogs, myself and a buddy will be heading to Gettysburg again this year in mid November for a week of hunting. Even though the old dog likely won't hunt I can't leave him at home. He goes nuts if he thinks he's being left out of anything and he has been such a great dog I feel like I owe it to him to take him as long as he is able to make the trip.

We like pics! How about a couple of the dogs and any nice deer pics are always welcome also. Enjoy the site.

Matt

Thanks for the welcome.
I'm horrible about remembering to take some photos in the field. I need to be more disciplined about the photo opportunities.

I'll try to post some photos here. The deer pic's are our son and daughter in law.

I just tried to attach some photos and I cannot do it. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the site. I'll work on it later. I have a few chores to around the homestead now.
Where do you stay when you head out to Gettysburg? If you are ever in the Mobridge area before 10:00 opener, there is a small caf? that only serves breakfast and lunch. They put on one heck of a breakfast. They bake some of the best pies that you can take out. I will get back to you with the name.
Bob's is a good place to eat for dinner. Good luck finishing the big sirloin.
The bakery in Gettysburg is good also.

The name of the caf? in Mobridge is Great Plains Family Restaurant. the quality and portions of the meal are unreal. They are Mennonite and can cook like you would not believe.
If you go there pick up a pie when you leave. they are unreal!!
Makes for a nice way to end the meal in the evening. They are about 3" high!

Welcome. Sounds like you have it made since your son works with the farmers. Nice that you can enjoy the area.

+1 as to the deer there!

Thank you,

Our son has the gift of gab. We went to church in town on a Sunday and I was just amazed how many people came up to him before and after mass.
We are very proud of him. He works very hard.

Welcome aboard Eastofriver! Congrats on the grandchild by the way. Your son is very fortunate to work for a company like CHS. They are a very good company to work for and definitely take notice of their good employees and treat them as such.

You are correct about the Kuchen in Eureka, as they are absolutely amazing! I was raised eating Kuchen and actually took 1st place in Home Ec. class in high school for making it (many, many years ago!).

It has been quite some time since I ate at the Great Plains Family Restaurant and as I remember the food was plentiful, delicious, and quite reasonably priced.

Anyways, welcome to the forum and it is a pleasure having you here!

Welcome aboard Eastofriver! Congrats on the grandchild by the way. Your son is very fortunate to work for a company like CHS. They are a very good company to work for and definitely take notice of their good employees and treat them as such.

You are correct about the Kuchen in Eureka, as they are absolutely amazing! I was raised eating Kuchen and actually took 1st place in Home Ec. class in high school for making it (many, many years ago!).

It has been quite some time since I ate at the Great Plains Family Restaurant and as I remember the food was plentiful, delicious, and quite reasonably priced.

Anyways, welcome to the forum and it is a pleasure having you here!

Thanks for the welcome

Yes CHS treats their employees well. An excellent profit sharing program, great pay and boss's that want you to succeed. Every year they send the employees in our son's area to Hawaii for two weeks. They go to a different island each time. Last year they had a dinner and dance on the USS Missouri and had a private tour of Pearl Harbor. That would have made my day to have dinner and dance on the Missouri. I lost my Grandfather at Pearl Harbor. My Father enlisted at 17 years old the day after Pearl.

The next time you eat at Great Plains, pick a pie up and bring it back to Pheasant camp for dessert. I swear the pies are 3' high

We get some things at the bakery. They are great.

If you are in Gettysburg in November you will have to come to my house and have dinner with us sometime. I'm there all November.

That sounds like a plan. We are out there early November (first week). Back to MN for opener deer hunting. Sometimes two weeks deer hunting in No.MN.
I still prefer deer hunting in NO MN. I have hunted there for 50 years and I like the ground there.
We head back out to your neck of the woods over Thanksgiving (that is my favorite time). Sometimes we are lucky enough to make it out for the SD deer opener. We always find a way at some point to make it out for some deer hunting though.
December we make it out normally a couple times (yes, I end up buying several licenses each year). We hunt private land adjacent to feed lots with landowners permission. That can be terrific!

We participate just outside of a local town with the locals for a "Pheasant Round Up". Teams of two hit areas that have never been hunted. There is a judge that comes with a stopwatch and the hunt is timed for how long it takes to shoot a limit. It's a great social time with a huge cocktail party and dinner after.

I'll keep you posted and we would love to met up with you. Do you live there?

From seeing some of the posts about group hunting on private land will upset some of the public land hunters "Be a man hunt public land" Foobah!

I don't give a rat's ....

we live in Minnesota. Just north of the cities. We have a cabin in between Grand Rapids MN & Bigfork MN.
That's were we hunt Ruffed Grouse, ducks and deer.
We have had the cabin over 30 years now.

No problem,

This last season was "okay". We ran in to a few pockets of excellent hunting. We had a good hatch last spring also. The last several years the pulp logging has been on the upswing. A few more years those areas will be dynamite.
The population is on the upswing on the "ten year cycle".
We get a few Sprucys mixed in also (wow are they stupid).

Back