New user, information

doublegun01

I know this question is obviously over posted but I'm new and am looking for information. I am interested in a self guided pheasant hunt in SD and really don't have a clue where to begin. If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate any guidance.

Welcome to Uph. You might try www.uguidesdpheasants.com/. Uguide is a member of this sight and he has several operations out of South Dakota. I hope this helps and good luck on your SD pheasant hunt.:) Sorry the link will not open. Just google uguide and it should open at the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure that Uguide runs a quality operation, but if it's not for you then I have a few suggestions for you.

First go to SD fish and game web site, and download the maps for your GPS, you do have a GPS don't you? The map shows all of the public property in SD, and it's color coded so you know what you are looking at, ie. Game production areas, Waterfowl production areas, walk in only, etc.

Secondly, request the pheasant packet from SDF&G. It will give you a ton of info on hunting in SD.

Next, plan on going a little later in the year. The crowds have thinned a little, and with any luck the corn and sunflowers will be cut.

You won't be able to start hunting until 10AM, so get up early and use that time to scout. You will burn some fuel, but the rewards are astounding. Don't forget you can hunt the road side right of way. Just follow the law, and you won't get in trouble.

I've been doing this for several years now. I don't limit every day, but I usually shoot at a limit every day:D

Welcome to Uph. You might try www.uguidesdpheasants.com/. Uguide is a member of this sight and he has several operations out of South Dakota. I hope this helps and good luck on your SD pheasant hunt.:) Sorry the link will not open. Just google uguide and it should open at the top.

You had a spelling error in the link. I fixed it and it works now.

old dog was right on with his advice. later is better as far as numbers go. cold weather and snow keeps people away and allows a lot of opportunites. we always had success hanging around the local establishments haven a few with the locals. once they got to know us it helped build relationships. when the roadside counts come out go where the pheasants are. mitchell, huron, miller, redfield, pierre, winner and chamberlin are givens but try some area's that might look like plan c or plan d. you will still see a ton of birds and those area's don't get pounded as much. i like the webster to clark area early. tons of public ground and its usually a plan b or c for most guys. desmet and arlington are nice area's too. we started hunting sd for pheasants in the mid 90's with no connections and no land to hunt. today we have made a lot of great connections with some great people and and more land to hunt than you can shake a stick at. we hunt mostly on our own, 3-4 guys, but we are often invited to hunt with the neighbors and that is quite a show. nothing like cleaning 40 to 50 birds in december after a 2-3 hour hunt. we do an early hunt too, around late october or early november, and we get on some land but that hunt is usually tougher than our december hunts. Also, if you buy your sd small game license after dec. 15, you can use the 2nd half of your license the following year. when the refuge at sand lake opens in december that can be a lot of fun too. usually late november or first week of december. best of luck and be good to the locals and they will be great to you.

Back