New to South Dakota

LABS HUNT

Hi all,

I am relocating to Rapid City, SD for work and life. I am very excited becoming a SD resident, especially because I love hunting!
I have been doing most of my pheasant and deer hunting over the last 15 yrs in the eastern part of North Dakota. I have never hunted SD before so I do not know too much about where to hunt. Could somebody point me in the right direction for bird hunting? Not asking for honey holes, just wondering how far I have to drive from Rapid City to experience some decent flushes with my dog.

Thank you so much!

Go east until towards Murdo/Presho or NNE towards Lemmon. Not a lot of public land and what there is gets hit hard, just like in N Dak.

I would say the first thing you do is go to cabelas scheels or any sporting good store and pick up the public hunting atlas. Like Bruce said not a lot in hour radius of rapid city for pheasants so you’ll have to head at least two hours east towards Presho. I haven’t hunted much towards Lemmon but I have buddies that do and say it can be hit or miss from year to year depending on moisture.

Thanks to all of you that gave me some good advise. I didn't think there was that much around the Rapid City area, but thought I would ask.
I have spent time hunting in the Bowman, ND area and has been very good there. I see that there is some PLOTS and public areas just over the border into SD. I will check those areas out as well.

I used to hunt near Wanblee. Lots & lots of grouse, but u could kill your limit of phez too. I dont know if u can hunt that part of the state anymore without a native american guide & license. A lot closer for you

Back