New to Pointers

mnaj_springer

My wife and I just acquired a 7 month old English pointer in a "rescue" type situation (divorce). The previous owner did little bird work and little training. She's a healthy, happy dog, seems to like me and made a connection with me. Before taking her I looked at her a few times. I've personally seen her point (by scent) a half dozen pigeons. She also retrieves to hand naturally.

Going forward I plan to expose her to more birds (pigeons then wild birds after nesting season is done), give her experience, introduce guns, and some basic obedience (come and heel). And then I'll work from there depending on how she does.

That being said, I'm new to the pointy dogs so any advice or suggestions are welcome!

Also, I'm still having trouble uploading pics...

MnAJ? Welcome and nicely done!

You are in for a world of wonderment--kind of "Wow, Look at that!"--over and over again.

Take some time to establish the bond between you two, and from what you've said, your dog is already well on the path to being a hunting partner.

The "search" function is your friend; a lot of excellent advice by wise and experienced folks.

Ask as you choose; post because we need to see stuff too.

Best wishes.

With pointers the most important thing is to bond with them, do that and she will hunt for you and keep in contact with you

EPs are pretty much out of the box hunting dogs and require little training other than coming when they are called, they are great dogs.

I have seven rescues and they all hunt fine

Back