New to hunting Nebraska

A couple of buddies and I are headed to Nebraska to hunt in early November and we are trying to decide on either hunting the North Central or South Central parts of the state. I personally want to hunt Harlan, Phelps, Kearney and Franklin counties. We are planning on hunting public ground and I want to see if anyone has had any experience or success hunting public grounds and how much cover there is in these areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Had a lot of luck on CRP MAP and some private land in later part of last season in south central, maybe a lil west of central. I can only imagine how it is early season. Rock County has some good public access land. It's kind of central central if I recall correctly.

nebraska has very little public ground and it gets pounded.....you'll have to knock on doors and get permission, SW is best.

I wouldn't say very little, but even the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission admits that most of the hunting is done on private land. Get a CRP Map Atlas, it highlights individual fields in each county that are privately owned but open to walk in hunting. It will take a little scouting and some map reading skills, but they turn out to be successful more often then not.

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/programs/crp/crp.asp

I would go farther west if I were making a longer trip. I have hunted Harlan, and Phelps for years. Population te last 3 years has been down compared to even 50 miles west. As you go west, public ground is harder and harder to find, but there is some around Enders reservior, (Red Willow), Best area lately as been extreme Southwest, Dundy County, but you will need to knock on doors and hunt for landowners. North Central, unless you have access to really good private ground, is a waste of time. Way north in the sandhills the population has been up, but this is extremely rugged country, you will be hunting cattail marshes, and it's usually better late with snow cover, you will be literally 50 miles into the back country on roads, (trails), travelled a few times a week, maybe! If you go remember that vehicles with catalytic converters start fires when parked in tall dry grass. In the sandhills everything is tall dry grass! It's a long walk without a vehicle and the locals will be decidedly hostile if you start a fire. Best pheasant hunting in my life as been in Nebraska, just not recently.

spend some time talking to the locals, a lot of times the farmer's CO-OP is a good place to visit and inquire as to who may let you on some private ground.

Back