new studies supporting pen raised bird success

brettberry

Hi guys,
love the forum. I just introduced myself on the introduction page and gave some info on the newest scientific studies conducted by Texas Tech and Tall Timbers on pen-raised quail. They're encouraging. Also, I mentioned some phenomenal studies on pheasants from an English author. One of the methods of gameskeeping in England mirrors that (for pheasants) which is being done by Texas Tech and Tall Timbers for quail. I'll try to dig up the books and their names. They should be required reading on this forum.

Here's the link to my post:

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12379
New dude to UPH and new documented studies for pen raised birds

Here's the link to the studies:

http://quail-tech.org/NewsLetterArchive.htm

BB

Your intro was a fantastic read...

Living in New York state we have a strong put and take mentality with minimal interest in Habitat.

Working with Pheasants Forever in Central New York, where most of our habitat projects have been on private property with Pen Bird releases we have seen breeding pairs and broods where proper habitat has been established. Although NY DEC does not truly believe that this is viable for state land and this sentiment is compounded with PF's stance on pen raised birds.

I am very interesting to learn more about these studies and hopefully make a difference in areas that are trying to regain a viable pheasant population.

VERY interesting information, it goes against conventional wisdom but we should all always try to be open minded. Thanks!

book on pheasant ecology

FYI: The book I mentioned detailing the importance of territorial habitat preferences for roosters and the proximity of nesting and success is: The Pheasant: Ecology Management and Conservation by David Hill and Peter Robertson (Jun 1988)

It's written like a university study, but is also readable.

Great stuff.

I'll try to find the other book.
bb

I and several others on the forum have read Peter Robertsons books. Most all the studies have been done in Britain and Europe.
The studies there in general pertain to North American Pheasants. However our pheasants are from different species and are a North American bird. In many ways a lot different then the pheasants Robertson has studied.

For a better source of information on North American Ring Neck Pheasants I highly recommend this book.

"Montana's Ring Neck Pheasant" [John P Weigand and Reuel G Hanson]
Published by the MT Department of Fish and Game.

Not only covers Montana's success in establishing pheasants but also the Dakotas and most of the US Pheasant Belt. And the history of North American Pheasants from day 1.

book recommendation

Thanks for the book recommendation.
I will read it. Although I've grown up all my life thinking Montana was its own country, so I thought they had a special breed of pheasants there too.:)

Seriously thank you for the book recommendation.

bb

Makes allot of sense.

One of the problems that I see with many PF plantings is the lack of combined diverse plant cover types that these reports mention as being very important.

Back