New strap vest

used a vest for many years. Then I got a browning/PFE strap vest, never go back to the traditional vest.
Part of the issue is that during any open firearms deer or muzzle loader season here in MN, there are additional blaze orange requirements. Something like that would not be good enough whereas a full orange upland vest would be acceptable. Its kind of bush league because we have an early youth deer season, a normal firearms deer season, and then a 15 day muzzle loader season so there is a fair amount of days during the pheasant season where that would be illegal.

Part of the issue is that during any open firearms deer or muzzle loader season here in MN, there are additional blaze orange requirements. Something like that would not be good enough whereas a full orange upland vest would be acceptable. Its kind of bush league because we have an early youth deer season, a normal firearms deer season, and then a 15 day muzzle loader season so there is a fair amount of days during the pheasant season where that would be illegal.
I have told by buddies before that it was hard to see me in my Q5. So I make sure and where an orange shooting shirt or a orange jacket underneath. It's a valid concern, but easily remedied. For the hunts we do in Kansas where you have a big group walking a field the strap vest is unnecessary. But if you are going for several hours at a time, especially by yourself, it's a must in my book. Being able to carry enough water is huge, side benefit it's also pretty comfortable to wear...

If anyone is looking for a Q5 centerfire I have one posted in the classifieds. I love the vest I don't hunt enough to justify keeping it.

I need/want the ease of the front loading game pouch. Not sure what brand I wear, plenty of pockets, inside and out. I really don't wear the vest much, our season opens the last saturday in Oct, so not many days where it is in the 50*s prior to noon, I wear a LL Bean waxed canvas coat most of the time, tough as nails. It is warm, I can wear it with little else from mid 30*s and lower, just with different undershirts and what buttons I close on the coat. My old GSP really got hot in temps over 50, so I was done when that happened, seldom we have 50s in the mornings during season, there have been very few days I didn't hunt due to heat, most outtings I am finished by noon/1:00. My new GSP is a black one and he seems to heat-up worse that the last one (white/liver) in the heat.. My old dog wouldn't stop hunting in the field. In 70*s temps I am assuming he would suffer heat stoke in short order, my last one also wouldn't get into water to cool off by himself without me holding him there (which I had done before), he just wanted to keep hunting.

Just no need for a strap vest at this point. It seems like on the occations I hunt with fellas without the front loading game pouch, they need help getting the birds in. My crowd is getting older. The parcels are small here (and usually very good bird numbers), I water at the truck, never carry any water for me or the dog. In my coat/vest, I carry my cell phone usually, a bell on a snap hook, a lenght of rope & shells (keys, wallet and license are in my pants pockets), the collar remote is around my neck. I do keep a large duffle bag of other paraphernalia that might be needed, including extra of about every clothing item I am wearing. I might not travel light, but I hunt light.

I enjoy completely different enviroment than walking the grasslands for miles in search for an occasional bird, which it sounds like many do. The same quary, but much varied habitat and conditions, needing different tactics, strategies and equipment sometimes.

I hear you on all the various seasons in MN and requirements. One reason I'm happy about the strap vest is I can wear an orange coat under it and be fine with the law. The only part that wouldn't be blaze is the straps and I don't see a warden giving a ticket over that.

Finally getting around to looking for a new strap vest. Currently running an old Mothers technical vest.
Things I like about it, carries my 100 oz water bladder, the magnetic shell closures, the straps don’t interfere with my shotgun mounting.
Things I don’t care for about it. Getting the first bird in can be a _itch, there aren’t sufficient pockets on the front to carry phone, dog remotes, insufficient blaze on the front of the vest, the water bottle holders aren’t sufficiently snug enough to keep the bottles from falling out.
I love the magnetic closure for the shell holder- in 10 plus years I dint think I’ve lost more than a shell or two and only when the magnets didn’t snap back correctly.
while not rich I’m thinking about the ”Chief Upland system” and wondered if anyone had input on this. Ya, I know it’s expensive but I do like the modular molle systems. The blaze is important as our state has a 400 inch blaze requirement. Will it hold the 100 oz bladder- I know you can get a 70 oz one from chief. Any thoughts are appreciated.
thanks Ken

Last edited:
Finally getting around to looking for a new strap vest. Currently running an old Mothers technical vest.
Things I like about it, carries my 100 oz water bladder, the magnetic shell closures, the straps don’t interfere with my shotgun mounting.
Things I don’t care for about it. Getting the first bird in can be a _itch, there aren’t sufficient pockets on the front to carry phone, dog remotes, insufficient blaze on the front of the vest, the water bottle holders are sufficiently snug enough to keep the bottles from falling out.
I love the magnetic closure for the shell holder- in 10 plus years I dint think I’ve lost more than a shell or two and only when the magnets didn’t snap back correctly.
while not rich I’m thinking about the ”Chief Upland system” and wondered if anyone had input on this. Ya, I know it’s expensive but I do like the modular molle systems. The blaze is important as our state has a 400 inch blaze requirement. Will it hold the 100 oz bladder- I know you can get a 70 oz one from chief. Any thoughts are appreciated.
thanks Ken
Had mine for 2 years. Best I've had. Very customizable and comfortable - distributes the weight well even with a limit of roosters

Not sure about a 100 oz bladder. I use that space to carry first aid for dogs and cable cutter.

Very Spendy.
While I like Pyke gear this vest - for the price appears too minimalistic. For me the very least it needs is a good bladder holder. While some prefer water bottles my now discontinued Mother Technical vest had a good sized bladder holder. also, one item I love on the vest is the magnetic 🧲 enclosures. In well over 10 years of use this has prevented shell loss on numerous occasions. biggest reason for upgrading is more pockets, and my vest blaze orange is very faded. the adjustability of the Chief Upland appears to be significant- nit cheap and made in the USA as well. likely the last vest I’ll ever buy.

Switch mine out to the Chief Upland vest last fall with no regrets. really like the shell holders and that I can move them exactly where I want them.

I purchased an strap vest last year and really don't like it(bought an WildFowler Upland Strap Vest). My biggest complaint on that one is the ammo pouches has buckles pain in the butt unless you leave it unsnapped. Sits in my hunting tub in the back of SUV. The Chief Upland vest is very interesting and company is only 20 miles down the road from me. Contacted the owner a couple times just haven't gotten around to pull the trigger on one. Have two vests in the car now with one being a Gamehide which I've had for years and still does the job well.

I attended Pheasant Fest this past year and too was in the market. It was nice to be able to see them all side by side and compare. I ended up going with a Hunt Redi vest...and while not cheap either ~$330...it was far and above the rest IMO. Pyke, Chief, Tenzing... compared them all side by side. Now that i've got some time on it this year, I am VERY happy with my purchase. This thing is awesome.

Just used my Chief Upland strap vest this morning for the first time. super comfortable. Lots of options for adding bags, other items to the vest. I ordered it with just the single magnetic quick shell holder. Had a couple other molle items I was able to attach including my 100 oz military bladder. Fits well in the provided pouch.
my old Mothers Technical vest was pretty faded. Didn’t realize till I compared them. Looking forward to many years of hunting.

Attachments

• 08662BA6-3CE7-48EA-8EB8-A333A17692CF.jpeg
    08662BA6-3CE7-48EA-8EB8-A333A17692CF.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 87A46016-3FCF-4F35-9E01-31DA8E27A529.jpeg
    87A46016-3FCF-4F35-9E01-31DA8E27A529.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 25
Have worn a boyt strap vest for 20 years , recently switched to a Banded strap vest. I like the water bottle storage on the banded vest. The boyt will never were out.

Q5 San Carlos is what I use. It’s great for short hunts and will hold enough for an all day away from the truck hunt. Easy on easy off. Great quality and customer service as well.

I've ran the new pro strap vest from filson this year.... bought it because it is basically all blaze.... water holders on each side. Big game pouch and because my filson chaps are going on like 10 years.... hope the vest follows suit. I have 2 complaints. Both of which will be fixed I'm hoping over time. The water bottles seem to be on the side more then in the back so your a little wider when trying to get thru cattails or willows... I often catch my self swinging around thinkin wtf was that. .. second is no shell loops,which I'm adapting to but still gonna have some sown in. If I had to do it all over again I would after seeing the other ones I was considering

Got to use my Orvis waxed cotton strap vest this week. I purposely loaded it a little heavy just to see how it would perform, and I was very pleased with how comfortable it was.
Dennis

Back