New Shotgun

George

Just sold my Citori 725 field, I've had that gun since 2014. Idk what it is but i could never shoot it well the stacked barrels kept throwing me off and I didn't have enough time on my hands to invest in practicing to figure it out. Used the money I received from selling it to purchase a Fabarm L4s grey hunter cant wait. Anyone else have this gun, whats your experience?

I have the L4S Grey Hunter in the 26" barrel, which they no longer make. It's light and carries well, shoots to point of aim, cycles everything I've fed it. No complaints at all, but I'll be selling mine. I've shot O/U guns forever, and the L4S doesn't get much use because of that preference.

I got the L4s initial hunter which is the same gun, just not as pretty. Gas guns can be picky on functioning correctly, there's videos online of fabarm smiths cleaning them. Good idea to watch those. Keep it clean and have fun shooting with it.

I got the L4s initial hunter which is the same gun, just not as pretty. Gas guns can be picky on functioning correctly, there's videos online of fabarm smiths cleaning them. Good idea to watch those. Keep it clean and have fun shooting with it.
Watched few seemed the important areas to oil were the rails. Did you ever completely strip the gun down to clean it?

Watched few seemed the important areas to oil were the rails. Did you ever completely strip the gun down to clean it?
I don't own one of these particular guns but I own several autos, I try to make it a yearly winter project to fully strip and clean the guns after a season of use. Then just keep up with normal cleaning and oiling of high impact wear parts throughout the season.

Also a tip, learn via forums or internet research if there's a particular part on your gun model that is prone to failure and have a spare with you. As an example, my Browning Maxus is apparently prone to having the bolt hammer just fall out? Happened to me one time in the field, looked down and noticed the bolt hammer was gone. Obviously gun is usable but I had to carry a small screwdriver in the field until the spare came in so I could rack the slide and empty the chamber. I now have an extra with me in my dog bag in case it happens again.

The L4S is incredibly easy to strip and clean. You're correct regarding having oil on the rails. I put about five drops of G96 on the rails, and it will cycle very well. It's not a complicated gun to work on, and Fabarm spent some time making the design both functional and intuitive. If I wasn't such an O/U fanatic, my L4S wouldn't be for sale. You'll like it.

big change

Wow that is quite a change of shotguns. I have had a lot of experience with autoloaders, not a fabarm. I have heard good things about them. Caesar Guerini owns fabarms so they should be great guns.

Issues can happen in super cold weather. Brandon the owner of BOSS shot shells told me to run Mobil 1 5/20 synthetic motor oil in all my autoloaders (interia and gas). Also use it sparely, a very thin light coat.

Also if it shoots 3.5 inch shells, you could get a jam if you try to go below 1 1/8 ounce loads. Say you go to a sporting clays course and have 1 ounce loads it could fail to eject. I have seen that a lot.

I think you will love it. To me it will be a lighter gun, but not too light. Nice to have a third shot if you get that late bird that jumps up after the party is over. Good luck give us a review.

"gas guns can be picky on functioning correctly"

Keep them clean and use LESS, and I mean way less oil than you think you need and they'll go bang every time. Unless, it's an old 1100, then take the stock O-ring off and throw it away, then go to the John Deere house and get a replacement and you're good to go. Don't ask me how I know...

Congratulations on the new gun, shoot it in good health!

Back