New shotgun barrel length

Jack53wb

Hello, first time poster and had a quick question regarding upland shotguns. I’m looking at buying a Beretta 686 and was debating on choosing a barrel length. I’m 6’4” tall but want a barrel length that will be best suited for upland hunting situations including terrain with heavier cover and brush. I hear lots of people recommend using a 28” barrel, and others that say taller people should go towards a longer length barrel- more like 30”. I was curious if you had any opinions on this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!

I’m 6’3” and my youngest is 6’4” and we both prefer 30” tubes if at all possible. If shooting an O/U or SxS you can get them and feel better caring them in the field because you don’t have a ton of receiver, like in an auto, that adds even more length.

I'm no expert, but IMHO, there is really no set in stone length. Your O/U will always be shorter overall compared to autos and pumps with similar barrel lengths due to receiver lengths. For me personally, it comes down to how the gun balances between the hands. Too long and the gun will be nose heavy, too short and the gun will feel very whippy. The best thing to do is go to your local store and just shoulder a bunch and you'll know when it just feels right!

Also, the length of pull will be more important than barrel length especially for someone of your height. I'm 6' 3" and like a LOP 14 1/2" for hunting and almost 15" for target. Beretta O/U tend to be a little longer LOP than say a Browning.

Agree it is personal preference but I tend to like longer barrels. My 28 and 20 are 32”. 16 is 29” and 12 is 28”. At some point I’ll likely move to 30’s on my 12. If nothing else as an excuse to buy a new gun. I do like how the longer barrels swing though.

Sorry, but you really can’t evaluate a gun until you shoot it. I shoot my Berettas equally, from 26” to 30”. It is all about weight, balance and fit.
Your search continues, good luck. It is nice to have options. All good advice above.

I am 5 foot 11 and have a silver pigeon one 32 inch 12 gauge sporting clays gun and I love it. I have taken it on a few pheasant and duck hunts and have shot it well. That said it is heavy and if I was using it on a steady diet of pheasant hunting I would look at the 30 or 28 inch. It really comes down to personal preference. Good luck and good hunting.

I've owned everything from 24-30. 30's are fine, and I don't really mind the nose heavy feel of the longer barrels but, two inches of length on a double is of course double the weight. So, for me it's the overall weight that counts most. A guy your size won't notice as much as a smaller guy, so I would say that if you think you might ever be serious about shooting sports go with 30's. 26's are lighter and will serve you a little bit better in heavy cover but 28's would probably fit you better and swing a little sweeter. So yeah, 28s...

Personally, I've never found the difference between 28&30in to matter in the heavy brush (grouse woods). To me, balance of the gun in my hands is more important. Of course, everyone carries their gun differently so you have to find a gun that feels right for you.

Many people prefer too much barrel in my opinion. Shorter is quicker and easier to carry in heavy cover. Because of a lack of a receiver, the O/U's can seem a bit shorter. I think you could get a very nice Beretta or Browning that will last forever.

Back