New Rescue Project

JMc

Super Moderator
Meet Pete…a five year old GSP rescue. He was pretty scared and defensive until I rubbed his head and ears. Then it was four hours of this. So far he seems birdie and points to sight. Hopefully a winner. Wish us luck.

Attachments

• 6CC8E24D-2B56-465A-B594-FFB116B0B2CB.jpeg
    6CC8E24D-2B56-465A-B594-FFB116B0B2CB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Congratulations and well-done !!!!

Your addition to the family hearkens me to all the stories, all the dogs, and all the years of life-to-date which were made rich and delightful because a canine came in and added luster to living.

REALLY pleased for you.

Bet he will be fine, just make sure to condition him to gunfire before the opening day, as we know you will. I was considering rehoming a GSP after having to say goodbye to mine. Well, nothing came up (a very small window of time) and then I got a lead on some puppies not too far away and now I have a puppy to deal with...after 13 years, I forgot what this is like. Oh, right after I put my deposit down on the new puppy, my wife finds several GSPs needing to be rehomed.

Meet Pete…a five year old GSP rescue. He was pretty scared and defensive until I rubbed his head and ears. Then it was four hours of this. So far he seems birdie and points to sight. Hopefully a winner. Wish us luck.
You gave a loving dog a new home, nothing better. My current dog is a rescue and so was the one before that.

Awesome!

We lost a Vizsla last August and briefly considered a rescue/adoption for our next bird dog. That probably would have meant a breed change because of the characteristics of the breed. V-John fosters Vs for rescue and I think I've read in one of his posts that of all the Vs he's fostered very few have had any potential. I looked into GSPs, but that was the peak of COVID and the rescue programs had mostly been cleaned out.

Good look with Pete. I may go that route with my next dog.

Good Luck. I can only bring in rescue dogs to the house. But I have had very good luck with a 6 year old Irish Setter and then a 6 year old English Setter. Both were great hunting dogs and family dogs. The up side is they are not puppies. The down side is that you only get them for half their life. I am now without a dog for the first time in many years so it will be a solemn hunting season. But currently on the lookout for a pointer/setter rescue. So wish me luck.

Back