New pheasant shotgun??

Looking to pick up a new gun for pheasant hunting. Want to stay around the 1200 dollar mark. What’s good, what do you guys recommend !?
I have two cynergy’s a twelve feather and a field 20 I like the 20 best they are a sweet gun I’m a browning lover have several other over under and auto browning s if you can’t get them in two shots they deserve to live 😎

Anybody shooting the Browning White Lighting, had my gun dealer give me a call and was wondering if I was still interested in a Browning, I wanted the CXS but he said he received four White Lighting in 12 gauge with 28inch barrels. They are a little on the heavy side but if I know I'm going to do a lot of walking I grab one of my 20 gauges.

Anybody shooting the Browning White Lighting, had my gun dealer give me a call and was wondering if I was still interested in a Browning, I wanted the CXS but he said he received four White Lighting in 12 gauge with 28inch barrels. They are a little on the heavy side but if I know I'm going to do a lot of walking I grab one of my 20 gauges.
I have a White Lightning in 16 ga. and love it. Had it for at least 15 years. Browning says the 16's weigh about 7 lbs. but mine weighs in at 6 lb. 10 oz. on my digital scale. However, the 12's are quite a bit heavier coming in around that 8 lb. mark. The CXS may be just a tad lighter.

If you look around you can probably find a nice used Browning Citori for around $1200. I have the Citori 725 Featherweight with 24" barrels in 12 gauge and it is my go-to shotgun for roosters, ahead of everything else in the safes...

I have the white lightning in 16/26 and 28/28 oil finished wood real sweet shooting irons but with that said I wouldn’t own anything but a browning but that’s just me I have a pair of 525 feathers in 20/26 and 12/26 oil finished would they are real sweet pieces too the list does not stop there

Rarely does a semi-auto interest me, especially in the uplands, but Browning finally got that one right.

For those that have a 16 gauge, how readily do you find shells that you want for pheasant hunting? (Or whatever hunting you partake in). I'm kicking around (very lightly) the idea about picking up an A5 in 16 gauge but the availability of shells and the fact I hunt with folks that use 12 gauges so it's handy to share when running low in the field.

I have 2 Maxus, weight 7Lbs or less ,soft shooters, fit well and I shoot them well . What is it with looking for another gun? Yet here I am reading this thread.

I have 2 Maxus, weight 7Lbs or less ,soft shooters, fit well and I shoot them well . What is it with looking for another gun? Yet here I am reading this thread.
Nothing wrong with looking. My problem is that I want to try all the guns so I keep buying. I’ve been overdoing it this month.

I also have a Maxus. Something about that 5 3/4 pound A5 sounds nice haha I've yet to put one in my hands even though

Unbelievably light and really good pointability for a fairly long gun. Very different from an O/U, but didn’t take long to adjust .

For those that have a 16 gauge, how readily do you find shells that you want for pheasant hunting? (Or whatever hunting you partake in). I'm kicking around (very lightly) the idea about picking up an A5 in 16 gauge but the availability of shells and the fact I hunt with folks that use 12 gauges so it's handy to share when running low in the field.
I have been shooting a 16 ga. for many years and have never had an issue finding ammo. Right now all ammo is difficult to find. I had a friend from Wisconsin stop and visit the other day on his way home. He had stopped at Cabelas in Mitchell, SD and said they had a lot of 16 ga. on hand. Just carry enough shells in the field with you and you won't have to worry about sharing with your buds. I have a new A5 Sweet Sixteen. Nice gun and very light. Mine weighs 5 lb. 13 oz. Unless you like really long guns I'd recommend getting the 26" barrel. The new A5's have a very long action which makes the gun longer than you would expect. I've even toying with the idea of sending my 26" barrel to Briley and having them cut 3" off and re-choke it.

I have been shooting a 16 ga. for many years and have never had an issue finding ammo. Right now all ammo is difficult to find. I had a friend from Wisconsin stop and visit the other day on his way home. He had stopped at Cabelas in Mitchell, SD and said they had a lot of 16 ga. on hand. Just carry enough shells in the field with you and you won't have to worry about sharing with your buds. I have a new A5 Sweet Sixteen. Nice gun and very light. Mine weighs 5 lb. 13 oz. Unless you like really long guns I'd recommend getting the 26" barrel. The new A5's have a very long action which makes the gun longer than you would expect. I've even toying with the idea of sending my 26" barrel to Briley and having them cut 3" off and re-choke it.
Does cutting down those barrels have an effect on pattering and recoil? Just seems like every gun I have owned, which is a lot, with a cut down barrel kicked like a mule.

I can second Dakota's endorsement of the "new" A5 Sweet 16. I've used mine now for 2 seasons and it is noticeably lighter to carry but still shoots 1 1/8 ounce 5's and 6's comfortably. On the 16 ga. website (www.16ga.com) a few posters complained about the tight radius pistol grip, but that helps me control the lighter gun more easily. Mine has good wood and it doesn't jam. I have 2 other Belgium Sweets and love them, but for carrying in the field, this one's tough to beat. In terms of shells availability I have 2 suggestions:
1. Get a MEC 600 JR. in 16. You'll eventually find components easier to get than they are right now, and you can load skeet loads, field loads, Bismuth or whatever yo want.
2. Visit Wal Marts in your area--go at different times (weekends are bad, everyone's out shopping) in midweek. Last week I bought 3 boxes of Federal Game Load 16's for $8.79 each at my local Mart. And there were several boxes of green/yellow Remington Express 1 1/8 ounce 6's also for about $15. I use Bismuth and Federal steel to shoot ducks with my A5 too.

My hunting Buddy has one, A5 16 I've seen him make a couple unbelievably long shots. It's plenty of gun. I don't care for the humpback thought.

Does cutting down those barrels have an effect on pattering and recoil? Just seems like every gun I have owned, which is a lot, with a cut down barrel kicked like a mule.
Not that I have ever experienced. I shot a Benelli Montefeltro with a 24" barrel for several years and never noticed any increased recoil. Pattering should not be an issue regardless of barrel length as the choke is only in the final 3" or so.

I exclusively shoot 16 ga for upland hunting, never had trouble getting shells here in KC, until last year Rogers always had them on the shelf, Cabelas too. I have never hoarded or panic bought, but I do tend to buy in bulk when they are on sale, so I generally have at least one season’s worth on hand. Last year I decided to shoot out my lead loads and eventually switch to nontoxic for upland hunting too, so I bought a box of Boss. This year I think I may do a little duck hunting with their 16 ga shells or Kents.

Back